divine

Getting a gun as a gift is it ok or not?

Anything shotgun related

Getting a gun as a gift is it ok or not?

Postby Pepi1967 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:46 pm

The wife has a shotgun certificate and has a couple of guns locked in her safe. I have no access to the safe or her guns because im not a licence holder. However she has recently convinced me to go along every now and then to the club where she shoots clays. I use the club gun they have hanging around and im quite happy as i only shoot now and again but she has said she wants to buy me my own gun to use. She said even though im not allowed access to the safe or to handle the gun outside of the club not even in the house aslong as i only get my hands on it inside the club grounds while shooting it then it will be fine. Im not so sure as the last thing i want to do is for her to lose her ticket just for the sake of a once in a blue moon thing. Im guessing shes hoping that if she buys me one that fits me better i will enjoy it more lol. Anyway what do you guys think? Is she right? Can she buy one for my use on her ticket aslong as i only use it at the club?
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Getting a gun as a gift is it ok or not?

Postby Deallad » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 am

I have the reverse, I shoot regularly and the wife goes from time to time.

As I am 6 foot 7 my gun would be way too big for her so I bought a small compact 20 g for the wife to use which is on my sgc.

when we go shooting I get both guns out of the safe and out we go, looking at the gun she uses it would be obvious that it was not bought for me to use.

We will at some point apply for her own sgc So no problem unless you are prevented from firearms under sec21

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:26 am

there is no problem at all with her doing what you describe as the gun will only be yours in name only and will be on her ticket and under her security.
so basically,it`s her gun that you`ll borrow which is what happens at every clay ground in the country :thup:
happy shooting 8-)
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Pepi1967 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks to you both for your replies. So looks like today we are going shopping for a gun for me then lol. i only really go to the club with her to keep her company and to sit in the club house cafe ( great food ) but saying that she only goes to my archery club to do the same thing so fares fare :cheese:
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Shootist » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:20 am

Get a shotgun certificate, put your prezzy on it, and all of hers too. Then you only need to one ticket.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:35 am

As said above ,what you describe is perfectly legal, my wife comes shooting with me occasionaly both shotgun and FAC so for ease of security she got her SG & and FAC with all my guns on them, would make things less complicated if you got your SG cert, but its your choice
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Pepi1967 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Ray7756 wrote:As said above ,what you describe is perfectly legal, my wife comes shooting with me occasionaly both shotgun and FAC so for ease of security she got her SG & and FAC with all my guns on them, would make things less complicated if you got your SG cert, but its your choice
Cheers
Ray

Thank you for your reply. Maybe if i get as addicted to the sport as she is then i would just apply for my own sgc but im an archer and occasionally rabbit hunt with my air rifle so clay shooting ( actually shooting i mean )is literally a once in a blue moon for me. She goes every week and i go most times with her and im happy just to watch and chat to everyone and to show support in her sport as she does in my archery but as you say it would make life easier for me to get my own ticket. I think there is something like a two month wait at the moment so i guess in the meantime i will do as she said and just put my gift in her safe and just use it when im at the club. Thank you all who have taken the time to reply to my question I appreciate it.
Pepi1967
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby mathspete » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Your wife wants to buy you a gun :thumbs: woohoo I wish my wife would buy me one, :shock: oh perhaps not, if she did then she'd find out that my guns didn't cost just £50 each. Best leave things as they are :Facepalm:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 am

Anna Rose wrote:Most of the cases keeping gun are safe enough but at the same time it get worse if its not use for the right time and some one gets you. its better to keep away b/c most of the cases you just might giveup.

anyone got a link to a bollocks to English translation app :roll:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shaun A. » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:16 am

She's left.

Shaun.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby aardvark.cox » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 am

Pepi1967 wrote:The wife has a shotgun certificate and has a couple of guns locked in her safe. I have no access to the safe or her guns because im not a licence holder. However she has recently convinced me to go along every now and then to the club where she shoots clays. I use the club gun they have hanging around and im quite happy as i only shoot now and again but she has said she wants to buy me my own gun to use. She said even though im not allowed access to the safe or to handle the gun outside of the club not even in the house aslong as i only get my hands on it inside the club grounds while shooting it then it will be fine. Im not so sure as the last thing i want to do is for her to lose her ticket just for the sake of a once in a blue moon thing. Im guessing shes hoping that if she buys me one that fits me better i will enjoy it more lol. Anyway what do you guys think? Is she right? Can she buy one for my use on her ticket aslong as i only use it at the club?

Forget about guns, if I had my way all firearms would be thrown into the nearest river. Guns were only invented to kill and killing is wrong.
aardvark.cox

Postby hedgehopper31 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 am

aardvark.cox wrote:
Pepi1967 wrote:The wife has a shotgun certificate and has a couple of guns locked in her safe. I have no access to the safe or her guns because im not a licence holder. However she has recently convinced me to go along every now and then to the club where she shoots clays. I use the club gun they have hanging around and im quite happy as i only shoot now and again but she has said she wants to buy me my own gun to use. She said even though im not allowed access to the safe or to handle the gun outside of the club not even in the house aslong as i only get my hands on it inside the club grounds while shooting it then it will be fine. Im not so sure as the last thing i want to do is for her to lose her ticket just for the sake of a once in a blue moon thing. Im guessing shes hoping that if she buys me one that fits me better i will enjoy it more lol. Anyway what do you guys think? Is she right? Can she buy one for my use on her ticket aslong as i only use it at the club?

Forget about guns, if I had my way all firearms would be thrown into the nearest river. Guns were only invented to kill and killing is wrong.

I agree with you aardvark and well said that takes courage.
hedgehopper31

Postby aardvark.cox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Hedgey.
aardvark.cox

Return to Shotguns