divine

Beretta Ultralight Users ?

Anything shotgun related

Beretta Ultralight Users ?

Postby David » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Would appreciate any advice from any users of a Beretta Ultralight (28" barrels). Its a long story but due to advancing years, knackered back, knackered lungs etc I find that most of my guns are too heavy even for a couple of rounds of skeet. So an Ultralight is a possibility, I always use 1 oz loads and shoot 2 rounds of skeet most weeks with two/three 25 bird rounds of compact sporting once a month. Game/rough shooting is limited to a few doos and rabbits and again its 1 oz loads.
The big question, is the Ultralight just too light for what I want :?
David
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Beretta Ultralight Users ?

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:39 pm

"Mikey_ABZ" on here has one, I've shot it a few times and while punchy with 28g loads, the recoil doesn't bother me.
Mike uses 24g loads as he is a big girl.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby rogerhoad » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I know several people,mainly women, who have bought these and they have all got rid of them because of the recoil.

Personally I think a 20 bore is a better bet as long as you don't go putting heavy loads through it.
rogerhoad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby David » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:31 pm

rogerhoad wrote:I know several people,mainly women, who have bought these and they have all got rid of them because of the recoil

Thats what bothers me - there is a hell of a lot of them for sale on Guntrader :shock:
David
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 pm

a light shotgun will always kick more,its whether you can accept the kick i personally did not mind it(although my old baikal s/s 16g took the piss,worse than 12g 46gram mags :shock: )
but is the gun to light for your needs,in my opinion no,if recoil is a problem how about a pad ect :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby chandlers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 pm

I used one for the first time yesterday as I'm thinking of buying it off a friend. It was a 28" barrel M/C Ultralight deluxe, and it did seem to kick a fair bit for the first few shots but after that I didn't notice it.
One thing I did notice on this particular gun was that the fore end seemed quite thin and flimsy and hollow feeling, which put me off the gun a bit :(
Otherwise it felt a nice gun which suited my frame/size really well(5'8" & 12 stone)
Two C/F's, two rimmies, two shotties and two air rifles, but one wife is enough..
chandlers
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Halfway between Winchester & Southampton, Hampshire.

Postby Oldfarmer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Several people at my shooting ground, over the years, have bought ultralights and I think without exception they have all moved them on quite quickly - due to excessive felt recoild - even with light loaded cartridges. I have to say I haven't tried one with the 21g cartridges. These light loads perform very well and may make the ultralight acceptable. I agree that given the choice I would use a 20 bore.
JC
Oldfarmer
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mikey_abz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Like Kev said, I own one of these (28" multichoke) and having moved on from a Fabarm Axis 12g there was a noticable increase in recoil. I often use mine for a few rounds of clays with either 24g or 28g shells and I dont mind the recoil(however I'm 6'2" a weigh a fair bit) :roll: . I bought it for the build quality and the fact its very lightweight, to be honest I wouldnt sell mine :grin: and thats saying something ;)

Mike :)
Beretta Ultralight 12g
Sako Quad .17HM2
mikey_abz
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jag » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:37 pm

David wrote:Would appreciate any advice from any users of a Beretta Ultralight (28" barrels). Its a long story but due to advancing years, knackered back, knackered lungs etc I find that most of my guns are too heavy even for a couple of rounds of skeet. So an Ultralight is a possibility, I always use 1 oz loads and shoot 2 rounds of skeet most weeks with two/three 25 bird rounds of compact sporting once a month. Game/rough shooting is limited to a few doos and rabbits and again its 1 oz loads.

used to have an ultralight. if you are only shooting as you say it will be ok. i shot 28grm 12 bore and never found the recoil a problem but as i no longer shoot game only clays i changed to a clay gun.
worth getting a berreta gel-tek pad on the stock, sometimes wish i still had mine. jag.
jag

Postby leadpig » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:44 pm

my m8 just bought one,it seems to weigh half my winchester :cry:,brilliant for carrying around the fields all day,not so good for clay use although recoil never normally bothers me anyway :grin: .
put a 46g 3" mag through it for a laugh and it handled it ok ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby David » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I seriously thought about the Ultralight but even the man I was going to buy it from put me off. In the end he sold me a (new) Browning Nordic 28". I can handle the weight ok, wearing a back brace thingy , and I think in the long term I was well advised not to go for the Ultralight although the fancy one is a good looking gun. :grin:
David
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:54 pm

David wrote:and I think in the long term I was well advised not to go for the Ultralight although the fancy one is a good looking gun. :grin:

why :hmm:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby David » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 pm

A couple of "whys" really :)

The weight difference is not that much, can't remember exactly how much.
Next I will not have the possible recoil problem.
Next I have new methods of shooting skeet & compac sporting, like a chair behind each stand, so I am not standing so much. Have even tried shooting DTL while sitting on the chair and it works, after a fashion.
And the lastest of my "two" reasons - when I or whoever comes to flog all my guns the Browning will be that much more saleable than the Ultralight. :)
David
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bobba » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 pm

David wrote:Would appreciate any advice from any users of a Beretta Ultralight (28" barrels). Its a long story but due to advancing years, knackered back, knackered lungs etc I find that most of my guns are too heavy even for a couple of rounds of skeet. So an Ultralight is a possibility, I always use 1 oz loads and shoot 2 rounds of skeet most weeks with two/three 25 bird rounds of compact sporting once a month. Game/rough shooting is limited to a few doos and rabbits and again its 1 oz loads.

I recognise the symptoms. At 66 yrs and good old arthritis in the back, lugging a heavy 12 bore around many acres was a potential chore. I know nothing about the Beretta, but merely to say I settled for a Miroku Mk 60 20 bore. Absolutely delighted. Light, V little recoil, hits all I need with 28grm loads (Multi choked by Nigel Teague). I know a number of shooters with Beretta 20 bores. That 20 bores are a womans gun is becomming an urban myth.
Bobba

Postby RockHopper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I have the Beretta Ultralight Deluxe, bought nearly new off an 82 year old RFD (his own gun).
He had the stock pad replaced with a limb saver one and it's fine.
One great features is the action is made of aircraft aluminium alloy (part of the weight saving), so no rust worries.
RockHopper
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Shotguns