divine

Beginner accessories

Anything shotgun related

Re: Beginner accessories

Postby beanwood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:20 am

HDAV wrote:Gun likely to be 12g S/S for forseable unless i get seduced in the meantime, if i can find somewhere to regularly shoot i fancy a moderated pump 3" .410 for some reason

SORRY - Forgot to mention the 'standard' advice regarding the actual shotgun - try before you buy. This is the most important piece of advice, as it's likely to be the most expensive piece of kit. I tried several guns that 'should' have worked for me From Baikal's to Beretta's, and Miroku's, and other's I didn't recognise. I understand, you can learn to compensate for any gun that doesn't fit, but it won't necessarily do a lot for your shooting.

Have fun! :thup:
beanwood
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:23 pm

I always find the following useful

Wig
Beard or moustashe
Balaclarva
Stolen white transit Van
Hacksaw
Blue overalls
Latex gloves
Good knowledge of the local area

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 pm

nickhornet wrote:I always find the following useful

Wig
Beard or moustashe
Balaclarva
Stolen white transit Van
Hacksaw
Blue overalls
Latex gloves
Good knowledge of the local area

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You forgot the chain saw. They always come in handy, making doors, windows, getting around locks, handy in a knife fight, quartering critters, .............
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby HDAV » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 pm

beanwood wrote:
HDAV wrote:Gun likely to be 12g S/S for forseable unless i get seduced in the meantime, if i can find somewhere to regularly shoot i fancy a moderated pump 3" .410 for some reason

SORRY - Forgot to mention the 'standard' advice regarding the actual shotgun - try before you buy. This is the most important piece of advice, as it's likely to be the most expensive piece of kit. I tried several guns that 'should' have worked for me From Baikal's to Beretta's, and Miroku's, and other's I didn't recognise. I understand, you can learn to compensate for any gun that doesn't fit, but it won't necessarily do a lot for your shooting.

Have fun! :thup:

Thanks then gun is an heirloom, my grandfathers, but if it doesn't fit, work for me i will look to get another one of my own... already getting tempted, as i wont get my grandfathers until February at this rate :cry: :cry: :cry:
Added 2" to my weapon and my hit rate went up ;)
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby beanwood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 pm

HDAV wrote:Thanks then gun is an heirloom, my grandfathers, but if it doesn't fit, work for me i will look to get another one of my own... already getting tempted, as i wont get my grandfathers until February at this rate :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry didn't realise, but in that case - you can have it made to fit :grin: Surprisingly (To me at least) it doesn't actually cost too much 8-)
beanwood
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby John_R » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:45 am

I'll second the comment that if you shoot clays you'll want glasses. I got some from Bushwear that have interchangeable lenses for different lighting conditions. I found them on sale about a year ago, so shop around.

However, I would add a cap as well, partly to help keep the sun out of your eyes, but also I have been hit on the head by bits of clays, and they are sharp!
John_R

Postby HDAV » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 pm

I've decided i need some decent boots, anyone have any exoperiance of Brasher? saw some today while out in toen they are lether hill walking type boots I want some thing smart enough for the pub but rugged anough for the feild and thought hill walking type boots with Gaiters could be the answer? Also leather gaiters as favoured by horse riders anygood or not?
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby HDAV » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Just been reading Ebay and noticed this:

If you use snap caps other than as a dry fire coaching aid, it is strongly recommended you place them in the gun at home,
and remove them at home - don't carry them to the shoot.

Anybody no why? also reconmended suppliers for bits and bobs. Hopefully i may be getting a gun this week...

Also are there any reconmended books for refernce on things like cleaning and oiling how to take apart etc etc etc
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby libensvolenspotens » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am

Many years ago I was at a clay shoot when a chap, having finished shooting, was talking to his mates.
As he was chatting away he reached into his bag for his snap caps.
The snap caps loaded and still chatting with his mates, he decided to ease the springs by pulling the trigger.
Click, Bang!
Inadvertently he had loaded a cartridge instead of a snap cap.
Luckily the barrels were pointing down and the result was merely a gaping hole in the floor of the caravan!
QED
Cheers
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:03 am

Bad gun handling that one :shock: :shock: An ND

I carry my snap caps eveywhere.. ne ver had a prblem as i make sure first.. Modern guns dont really need them anyhow.
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby HDAV » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Can you Un Cock a shotgun without the trigger release? I assume normal O/U or SbS the opening of the breach cocks the pins? so if to transport your gun borken down how do you release the springs?

I have been looking at a break down case for transporting as it isnt as obvious as a normal slip which i would prefer carrying it to and from the car etc

Like the look of the Napier protector 2
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby nickhornet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Leave it cocked.. should not damage the springs unless your goint to leave it for months & months..
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby HDAV » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 pm

nickhornet wrote:Leave it cocked.. should not damage the springs unless your goint to leave it for months & months..

Its been in a cabinet for the last 10 years unused not sure if it was cocked or not but no snap caps....off to the gunsmith me thinks...
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby HDAV » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Quick Lubrication question i was reading an article that suggested you should use Grease rather than oil for SbS and O/U guns as i hope to use the gun how should you clean and lubricate it? Brush then mop then oil mop then dry mop barrels then grease hinge points and ejectors? What sort of grease?
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby HDAV » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 pm

To anyone who is still following my ramblings or any newbies out there so far i have bought:
A Browing Range Kit which has glasses, Ear Plugs and muffs which worked well. http://www.breconretail.co.uk/browning- ... -591-p.asp
A new Slip as the one the gun was kept in had degraded and was falling to bits I went a bit overboard and got http://www.napieruk.com/slips.html#Prot ... 2%20SECURE
Some gloves i got for Xmas http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/Leath ... _5812.aspx

Still need to get some decent oil and cleaning bits

Oh and i had to get one of these lovely devices....http://www.countrymanofderby.co.uk/WEBS ... %20pad.jpg
HDAV
Rifleman
Rifleman

Previous

Return to Shotguns