1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Geco 22lr ammo

Postby Triffid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:40 am

My clubs been providing it for 'club ammo' for the last couple of years, mostly for use in semi-auto's for Light Sporting Rifle comps, but also for prone target rifle where people don't want to go for the expensive feed.
I would certainly put it on a par with equivalent cheap ammo. It doesn't seem to cause any problems with the semi-autos and I've yet to see a mis-fire. Accuracy in my BSA Martini is as good as Ely Club (but without the mis-fires) and certainly better than Ely Sporting.
HTH
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:56 am

Our club uses it as club ammo and there are quite a few members who also use it.

This is for gallery rifle comps and two of them have been in the GB team so if they weren't getting good results they'd choose another brand.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Viperteks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 am

Geco IMO is one of the best value, quality and accurate .22LR rounds out there, it is made by Dynamit Nobel, one of the best ammo manufacturers in Germany.

In fact I would put it on a par with LAPUA club ammo.

I used to run it through my Anschutz 1415 Thumbhole and my BSA Venom Martini, it literally 'one holed' out to 50m, in fact I found it to be MORE accurate than Eley Tenex for my guns!

Buy it with Confidence, highly recommended! :thup: :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby 1in9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26 pm

I tested some Geco a few months back on recommendation. I liked what I was hearing but was a little wary as it was way cheaper than Eley Match, my usual target round. Time for a test! ;)

With 150 rounds to play with I swapped my usual diopter sights and sling on my Anschutz Match 54 for a bipod and 6-24x scope and got stuck into some NSRA targets. While the zero is quite different from Eley the Geco is a pretty consistent grouper! After about 25 rounds worth of zeroing I was comfortably hitting bulls at 25 yards and getting 10mm groupings at 50 yards.

Better than Eley Club, possibly on a par with Eley Match but I'd want some long term averages to say that for definite.

Definitely a good buy! I've since got a brick in for plinking. :thup:
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Is it available as expanding fellas, or purely for target?
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby shotgun sam » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:36 pm

boughtsome tonight they are very good as subs as well
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
CZ 455 22 Lr/17 Hmr
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Northernbloke » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Club Ammo at the club I'm in as well - £3 for 50 cracking value, very accurate and never seen a misfire - paid a lot more than that (pro-rate) for a 500 round can of SK ammo that had 11 misfires out of 500 and didn't group anywhere near as well as the Geko.
Tels Techs - God's gift to REME E87A
Northernbloke
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gun nut » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:13 am

I used to use it a lot but it didn't like my 10/22 barrel so now I stick with SK as I know it groups better. Having said that it is accurate out of my other .22s and good value so give it a try. I know it is often said but see how your gun (or the gun you use) performs with it as this is the only way to tell.
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby shotgun sam » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:49 am

it worked well in my CZ and the 10/22
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
CZ 455 22 Lr/17 Hmr
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
shotgun sam
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

plugg wrote:Is it available as expanding fellas, or purely for target?

NAFIAK.. but I have NEVER known subsonic Expanding to actually expand either ;) , I have used it for hunting, they are just as Dead, I actually beilive .22 Expanding, behaves no differently to standard .22 on vermin!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby plugg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Viperteks wrote:

NAFIAK.. but I have NEVER known subsonic Expanding to actually expand either ;) , I have used it for hunting, they are just as Dead, I actually beilive .22 Expanding, behaves no differently to standard .22 on vermin!

Dave

Interesting...I take it that's opening the quarry up and locating the bullet?
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 pm

plugg wrote:
Viperteks wrote:

Dave

Interesting...I take it that's opening the quarry up and locating the bullet?

Yep, a few years back, when we were shooting a fair amount of rabbits we opened them up - if it hit bone (skull/spine) there was some 'more' expansion than standard roundnose, but it made no difference to the kill, on soft tissue, virtually no deformation at all.

I strongly believe that at subsonic velocities the lead alloy is too hard and too slow that it makes virtually NO difference.

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby jeff » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am

Viperteks wrote:I strongly believe that at subsonic velocities the lead alloy is too hard and too slow that it makes virtually NO difference.

Dave

I've never noticed a difference in "killing power" in any subsonic or std velocity bullet either.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 pm

jeff wrote:
Viperteks wrote:I strongly believe that at subsonic velocities the lead alloy is too hard and too slow that it makes virtually NO difference.

Dave

I've never noticed a difference in "killing power" in any subsonic or std velocity bullet either.

Same here, there is a world of difference between .22RF (any velocity) and proper centrefire velocities when it comes to terminal ballistics, the higher vleocity .22rf may give you slighly more range, but usually less accurate because of it!

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder