divine

what should i look for in a beginners clay pigeon launcher

Anything shotgun related

what should i look for in a beginners clay pigeon launcher

Postby sploot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I fancy getting a clay inexpensive clay pigeon launcher. Ideal for a bit of fun doon the field and for sharpening up my shooting. I know nothing on this subject and there seems to be a plethora of manufacturers and all sorts of jargon. don't need to be an industrial or one at a posh price, just something that works well, has a degree of flexability and is reliable.

Any ideas/comments guys?

Robbie
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
I like things that go
BANG!!!
sploot
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: what should i look for in a beginners clay pigeon launch

Postby parkyboy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi sploot... Have you ever seen people throwing tennis balls for their dogs with a curved bit of plastic with a cup on the end that holds the ball... They do a clay version where you put the clay in a kind of holder/ slot then hurl it as hard as you can.... they are cheap and portable and who ever is launching the clay can vary the height and angle and trejectory of the clay very easily. They are limited in range by how hard you can throw the clay... hope that helps... Hugh.
poor is the man whose pleasure comes at the permission of another !!!!!
Threat of Zombies is not a valid reason for stock piling ammo......
if at first you dont succeed get yourself a .50 cal....
Don't run you will just die tired.....
parkyboy
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

I've got one of those hand throwing things... Bit crappy tbh, and it takes a bit of technique... not to mention knackers your shoulder after a while!

Plus, you can't use them as a solo shooter unless you're quick :grin:

I have a 3/4 box of clays and a had thrower you could have for a tenner if you want to try it. :thup:
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby sploot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Guys :grin:
Thanks for your responses. I know the things you mean. Thanks for your offer Humperdingle but was thinking about something mechanical, If/when I get one I might well take them clays off you, how many are there left in the box?

Being able shoot solo would be a great option I hadn't thought of! How would such a thing be triggered? Remotely :?: :?: :?:

I see some of them are frame mounted with a seat for the reloader ( think?!?), tho i see some that can be mounted to a spare wheel or even post mounted ( This variant looks very practical, anyone used one? )

Further up the pricelist are various automatic launchers. these look cool but mught be a bit much for my pocket ( unless I can find a good deal on secondhand one! :grin: ) they do look quite heavy tho.

regards

Sploot
I like things that go
BANG!!!
sploot
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 am

i`ve got 2.
a bowman that incorperates a seat that is capable of throwing single or double standard clays at varying heights and trajectories,but you need someone to load and fire it :thup: :thup:
and a single or double midi clay trap that fixes to the floor and you load it,then fire it using the foot pedal or by pulling the string.
this is easily operated by the shooter on his own.
have a look on the bay there are loads to be had depending on your budget :grin:

NIGEL
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The_Dogge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 am

I had a couple of these as a lad, worked as a trapper at local shoots, then I organised informal clay shoots at my Uni club using a couple of manual traps.
My advice would be to save your cash and spend it at a proper shooting ground. I predict your trap will gather dust as it is a lot more hassle than you imagine to throw good targets and getting a mate to trap is a pain.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby RichardH » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:30 pm

I have a load of brand new double throw traps that simply bolt to something solid, adjustable spring, adjustable angles etc

Retail price £150

Yours for £50

Richard
RichardH

Postby Oldfarmer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Robbie

There are loads of clay traps gathering dust in the back of people’s garages. It’s just a matter of finding one!
The simplest is a single arm with no adjustment on the spring tension or the elevation. They sometimes come with a seat but often you have to bolt them down to a sleeper or similar.
The next level of sophistication will have adjustable spring tension and then adjustable elevation. With adjustable spring tension often comes the choice of 1 or 2 arms – so you can throw doubles.
These are all of the flipper type and hard work if you are on them all day.
The next level above this are the semi self cocking type. These are either operated by a pedal or a cocking lever, which makes them much faster and easier to re-cock and you can throw reasonable following pairs off them.
They tend to go up in price in the order I have listed. Have a look at the Bowman web site www.bowmantraps.co.uk and you will see all these listed. It will give you a good idea what to look for on the second hand market.
Have a look on EBay or any of the second hand web sites and you may pick up a bargain.
Try and ensure that the traps are still being made as spares can otherwise be difficult.
£50 looks cheap for a second hand double arm trap let alone a new one - as long as the postage doesn't kill the job.
I have to agree with The Dogge about spending your money at a shooting ground - but then I would say that wouldn't I as I own one!!!!!! But that is why there are loads in the back of peoples garages!!
John
Oldfarmer
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tignme » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:54 pm

I have a bowman junior on a sled for sale at £70.00. check their site same thing new is £170.00. im in ayrshire,you could collect and i will include a bucket of black stds. Im in around Glasgow sat for pigeons so could meet.
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby sploot » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Buffy. The second one sounds good, does it cock by foot too? Is it also a bowman?

Hi The Dogge. I can see where your coming from there. Stinkfoot and I took a run down to Clunie Clays in Fife with a O/U and a Semi on monday. Having it all set up for you and having the clay coming from different heights and angles is the mutts nuts.

Hi Oldfarmer. Thanks, good advice indeed. The foot cocking, triggering system sounds the kinda thing....I think i will do more research before I buy anything, I can see it becoming a “ dusty shed filler “ If im not careful.

Being able to replicate the dynamic in the way the clay ( or ultimatlely the quarry ) moves in order to practice the difficult shots is my plan. after that it could go back on ebay is it risks clogging my shed

Hi RichardH and Tigneme - Thank you for your offers, do either of them cock and trigger by foot?

Havent used a forum before so im learning as I go.( trying to work the quote function to no avail. )

Thanks again

Robbie
I like things that go
BANG!!!
sploot
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 am

not sure what make the other one is but it's deffo not a bowman.
you load and arm it like a bowman the pedal or string just does the firing.
forgot to say that this is also launch angle adjustable.
i know it came from ebay for not much money at all :thup:
i had both these traps given by a mate who's given up shooting to do archery :grin: :grin:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby RichardH » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 am

These are the ones I have for sale (no tripod, just bolts to anything solid)

Richard
RichardH

Postby PaPatricia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 am

sploot wrote:I fancy getting a clay inexpensive clay pigeon launcher. Ideal for a bit of fun doon the field and for sharpening up my shooting. I know nothing on this subject and there seems to be a plethora of manufacturers and all sorts of jargon. don't need to be an industrial or one at a posh price, just something that works well, has a degree of flexability and is reliable.

Any ideas/comments guys?

Robbie

I just started to get hooked on clay movements. The champion seems to be a good choice, but my budget is not enough. So I shifted my direction and I chose Gunpowder Gear Blue Chukar after consulting with people familiar with clay movements. :cheers:
PaPatricia

Postby PaPatricia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 am

sploot wrote:I fancy getting a clay inexpensive clay pigeon launcher. Ideal for a bit of fun doon the field and for sharpening up my shooting. I know nothing on this subject and there seems to be a plethora of manufacturers and all sorts of jargon. don't need to be an industrial or one at a posh price, just something that works well, has a degree of flexability and is reliable.

Any ideas/comments guys?

Robbie

Trius seems to be only around $ 150, and it is a novice thrower for price and use. A friend said that its adjustable throw angle is very interesting. He can also use it to throw double precision or even triple precision. Sounds good, doesn't it?
PaPatricia

Postby Deallad » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 pm

quite a few on ebay

single stack Nitehawk much better than a sit on type, run with car battery and a foot switch, them you can set it up on your own easy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitehawk-Aut ... SwDsFc5vi0

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter