divine

Shotgun application and anxiety

Anything shotgun related

Re: Shotgun application and anxiety

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm

oh ok so it will just get passed from doctor to doctor until one of them wants to do it. no wonder it takes so long lol. does anyone know what the doctors report actually involves them doing or writing?
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Your Dr only needs to tell the cops what is relevant to your condition and his/her professional opinion on your suitability to possess firearms.

Bear in mind that you wont have been the only one in your force area who has suffered from anxiety and so the cops will apply the same 'judgement' to you as they will have applied to others but also considering your own circumstances. If your Dr is anti shooting then the cops are likely to know this too as in the past they will have approached your Dr before for a suitability professional opinion and if he/she was an anti then they would have refused.

The cops are duty bound to gain a professional opinion from a qualified professional, if not the FME (Forensic Medical Examiner)can provide an opinion after you consenting for them to access your medical records. In short they have to get a professional opinion from a suitably qualified person, so yes, it can go round a bit...That is actually a good thing!

If you dont get your SGC first time, dont worry, what might happen is that they will ask you to withdraw your application and re-apply in X years. That way, if they refuse you it will go against you, if you withdraw the application your next will be your first :thup: I had to wait 2 years from my first application before I could be granted a SGC/FAC, not through mental illness I hasten to add, but then when I re-applied the applications sailed through :)
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm

ok so if it went to the fme would i go for a interview with them?
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Jamie.cutter wrote:ok so if it went to the fme would i go for a interview with them?

No, the FME is a Dr, usually a GP but works for the police with a little extra forensic training (for the preservation of evidence). The FEO might ask his/her professional opinion (if your own Dr refuses for whatever reason) on your suitability to hold firearms.

The FME isnt legally obliged to give an opinion but since an FEO would have to stand up in court, if you was refused and took it that far, then their refusal has to be backed up by some pretty good evidence. They cant just say "Well, M'lud, I thought the applicant was a raving nutter, so I refused his application"!

Two things that does, its defamation of character and unless the FEO is a qualified psychiatrist and has looked into your individual circumstances, then he/she cant make an opinion.

Stop panicking man, you really are worrying over nothing. They have to prove that you are unsuitable and they cant do that on a whim or a hunch.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm

i know iam panicing over nothing, just would prefer not to have to wait a cpl of years for my cert lol. plus my gun cabinet is looking rather empty lol
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Jamie.cutter wrote:i know iam panicing over nothing, just would prefer not to have to wait a cpl of years for my cert lol. plus my gun cabinet is looking rather empty lol

I think you are worrying over nothing. The process takes about 3 months (+/-) and you can actually phone the FEO and ask at what stage the process is at.

The bottom line is if you arent considered a risk to yourself or to others, you are not dependant on illicit drugs (and some prescribed drugs like Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol and Lithium) or alcohol and you are not 'pre-banned' from owning firearms then you will be fine :thup:
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 pm

thanks plugg :thup:
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Shotgun application and anxiety

Postby andy19877 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Jamie i know how ur feeling! Im waiting to hear back! Its been 7 weeks today and im papping myself incase it gets refused! Hopein to hear this week!
andy19877
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Jamie.cutter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Good luck mate, let me know
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Viperteks » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 am

Plugg, excellent information, on a area I was totally unaware of, thanks for the education!! :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby humperdingle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 am

I'm wondering if maybe the receptionist has picked it up wrong...

Maybe she thought you were talking about using the doctor as a 'referee', for your application? Which is an entirely different thing, and something a lot of doctors will either refuse to do, or charge for the 'service'.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby fireman-andy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 am

humperdingle wrote:I'm wondering if maybe the receptionist has picked it up wrong...

Maybe she thought you were talking about using the doctor as a 'referee', for your application? Which is an entirely different thing, and something a lot of doctors will either refuse to do, or charge for the 'service'.

+1 I think the receptionist has misunderstood (or heard what she wanted to) The dr is only providing information requested .
many yrs ago my Dr at the time refused to sign a renewal as the practice policy had changed , it was annoying at the time but when I thought about it I hadn't actually been to see him since my 1st application 5 yrs previously!!! puts them on the spot having to referee someone they haven't seen for a while.

Andy
fireman-andy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:59 am

How did you get round it Andy?
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Jamie.cutter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi guys, went to doctors today just to get it put on my record that I have stopped taking medication since the beginning of the year and no longer suffer from anxiety, he was pleased with what I said and also agreed to sign the documents that the FEO send the surgery :D
Jamie.cutter
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby plugg » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Jamie.cutter wrote:Hi guys, went to doctors today just to get it put on my record that I have stopped taking medication since the beginning of the year and no longer suffer from anxiety, he was pleased with what I said and also agreed to sign the documents that the FEO send the surgery :D

:thup:
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns