divine

The Woodman Complete Smoker..

Anything goes - within reason.

The Woodman Complete Smoker..

Postby Tommo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Does anyone have experience of this smoker? The Revd Mrs Tommo has just picked one up for £2.00, was supposed to be in tomorrow's church sale but, hey, if you can't use your position sometimes.. :grin: ;) :grin: . Seen one on Ebay which went for £50.00 and I think they are around £75.00 new, BUT...

I can't find any details online. Have Googled every possible combination of names but, other than some reviews, nothing. Problem is there are no instructions with it..

Anyone help please??
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: The Woodman Complete Smoker..

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:49 pm

"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

any use :)
http://www.ehow.com/how_8388680_use-woo ... moker.html
http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-3 ... ising.html
copied

I used a Woodman smoker for about 7 years - so much it burnt through at the base. It gave great results. You can sit it on a camp stove or even use it indoors on a hob.
Following the burnt through base some friends gave me a really high tech model that doubles up as an enclosed bbq with a temperature guage and everything.
I think I'd recommend the Woodman as the best sensible option. You hang the fish from the lid in baskets, put wood chips in the base and a raised dish of water/wine whatever above these. Then fire the thing up and 40 mins later you have transformed even a muddy stocky into a tasty smoked trout - people even ask me for them which isn't something that happens with muddy tasty stockies in my experience.
Enjoy!
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:56 pm

The most popular hot smoker for use indoors.
Simply place the Woodman Smoker on any cooker excluding halogen an smoke fish, sausage, chicken, etc. in your kitchen .
Place food in the baskets (both 2 long fish baskets and 2 bowl shaped baskets provided), place wine/water in the internal trivet and chippings inside the base.
Simply turn on the heat for immediate, consistent results..
Very little smoke escapes. .
Recipe book provided.
Size : 15" high x 8" diameter.

From http://www.farlows.co.uk/woodman-smoker.html

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 pm

More instructions than you can shake a smouldering stick at :grin:

Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Coldfinger wrote:More instructions than you can shake a smouldering stick at :grin:

Well yes.. Sorry guys, I should have qualified my OP by saying I had seen some 'outline' info but that I'd not found a makers sales site. I was hoping to be able to download a complete instruction sheet. All the links posted I had seen, but nonetheless I am grateful for your efforts.

Will let you know how I get on with it. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a Bradley..!! :grin: :thup: :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Bob E » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:22 am

Just found your query......
I have one and use it mainly for mackerel on my old sailing boat....
Instructions getting a bitty tatty but here goes.....
1 remove packing etc
2 remove trivet and baskets
3 spread evenly in bottom wood chippings.
4 replace trivet .... make sure its seated firmly
5 pour approx. two tablespoons of water wine or spirits into trivet.
6 arrange food in basket/s ( leave space for heat and smoke to circulate )
7 put basket/s into smoker
8 replace lid
So that's pretty basic....
9 ensure smoker is level and about 2 inches, or possibly slightly less, above the charcoal...
Note: I use it on a gas fire (in the sternsheets of my boat) to avoid stinking out the cabin/galley! The base has now distorted slightly and it has a couple of VERY small holes in it.... Doesn't seem to affect the performance though... Maybe I should use a diffuser on the gas ...
I do NOT have the extension kit.
Rough Cooking times are
Prawns 10 to 15 mins (6 for 10 min 12 for 15 min) but MUST be finished on Barbecue to cook completely and make it easy to remove the shells.
Hard Boiled Eggs 10 mins
Scallops 20 mins
Mussels 20- 25 mins
Chicken/duck breasts 20 - 25 mins
Salmon Steak 30 mins
Veal escalops 30 mins
Trout or Mackerel ( approx. 1 lbs ) 35 mins This is the one I usually do....
Whole pheasant or poussin 45 mins
3 lbs Chicken 90 mins
Sausages Do NOT prick them.. First barbecue or grill them for about 5 mins to colour them.. then finish in the smoker for about 20 mins.

LIGHT SMOKE use 30 ml ( 2 Tbsp ) wood
MEDIUM Smoke use 45 ml ( 3 Tbsp) wooid
Heavy Smoke use 60 ml ( 4 Tbsp ) wood
In all cases use 30 ml ( 2 Tbsp ) of water...
May need to increase amount of wood if two baskets used...

Cooking Tips
Trim off all excess and visible fat prior to smpoking
use marinades on meat or fish before smoking ... RExcvess can be used to replace water in trivet
use flavourings in the wood such as caraway whole dried chilli peppers, cumin seeds, star anise and cinnamon sticks
use flavourings in water such as garlic, ground spices, orange and or lemon rind, cardamon, cloves, juniper berries, and fresh or dried herbs.
use red or white wine, cider or fruit juices in the trivet instead of water
DON'T
allow food to overlap might result in undercooking
baste food - there is no need as heat is gentle and moist opening lid will only increase cooking time...
DON'T Use A Soft wood such as pineas it gives an unappetising flavour resinous flavour.

There you go better late than never and if you want to sell the thing let me know please ???

Cheers happy eating Bob E....
Bob E

Postby JeffreyThomas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am

Who has been able to pick out the best product among those listed on this site? https://bestoffsetsmokers.com/best-smoker-grills/
JeffreyThomas

Return to General chat