divine

Terms of contract

Pretty much anything shooting related

Would you send the firearm by the courier?

Yes I would ignoring the terms and conditions.
18%
No I wouldn't use the courier as I would be breaking the terms and conditions.
82%

Total votes : 11

Terms of contract

Postby Keef » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm

I've put a poll on here asking what you would do about sending firearms by courier.

To set the scene:

The courier insists that to send firearms using their service you must be an RFD, have an account, only send from you as an RFD to another RFD and you must have written permission to send firearms.

The courier publishes their terms and conditions among which are that you the sender agree to abide by and it is your responsibility to ensure that what you send meets their terms.

Now yhou are an RFD but you do not have an account and therefore don't have written permission to send a firearm.

So do you abide by the courier's terms and conditions or do you ignore them and send firearms using the courier?

Complete the poll but post if you wish.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Re: Terms of contract

Postby Coldfinger » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:37 pm

I am a natural born pessimist and my worry would be what would happen if the package went astray therefore I would use the RFD route. Neither poll option covers cowardice so I will not vote :(
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:47 pm

If you hand them a heavy box, registered post, going to another RFD (therefore it's a legally fine transaction), they're not going to x-ray it. People post and courier all kinds of things, many of them either against policy or illegal (or both!). As long as you stay within the law, what the courier company doesn't know can't hurt them. Unless it's loaded when you post it, but that would be stupid.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 pm

If the firearm is being sent for REPAIR you can use an authorised carrier as a civvy........ Royal Mail/parcel force is one such approved carrier :grin:
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:51 am

I wouldn't break their T&C's, but only because this gives them a get out clause if they lose or damage the item.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Monkey Sausage » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 am

jeff wrote:I wouldn't break their T&C's, but only because this gives them a get out clause if they lose or damage the item.

Yep, break their T&C's and you have no recourse should anything go bent...
Monkey Sausage

Postby thibben » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:03 am

Get the the receiving RFD to book the pick up on their account.

Not worth the risk, especially if you are an RFD and therefore this is your business/income you could loose.

T
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Terms of contract

Postby Stewartyg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:27 pm

thibben wrote:Get the the receiving RFD to book the pick up on their account.

Not worth the risk, especially if you are an RFD and therefore this is your business/income you could loose.

T

I agree not worth the risk!!
Stewartyg
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Keef » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:13 pm

nickhornet wrote:If the firearm is being sent for REPAIR you can use an authorised carrier as a civvy........ Royal Mail/parcel force is one such approved carrier :grin:

Parcel Force will not carry any firearm (including sub 12ftlb air rifles) unless you are an RFD, have an account and have written permission to send firearms. You can also only send to another RFD..
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Keef wrote:
nickhornet wrote:If the firearm is being sent for REPAIR you can use an authorised carrier as a civvy........ Royal Mail/parcel force is one such approved carrier :grin:

Parcel Force will not carry any firearm (including sub 12ftlb air rifles) unless you are an RFD, have an account and have written permission to send firearms. You can also only send to another RFD..

Not true keef... as a civvy not an RFD you can legaly send a firearm for repair to an RFD.... i may be wrong on parcel force but either royal mail or parcelforce are authorised to carry firearms,,, Last year i sent a defective firearm back to an RFD via royal mail or parcelforce legaly.. i would never condone breaking the law or indeed knowingly break the law concerning firearms in any way... please note it was send for repair.... not a working firearm...
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:14 pm

nickhornet wrote:
Not true keef... as a civvy not an RFD you can legaly send a firearm for repair to an RFD.... i may be wrong on parcel force but either royal mail or parcelforce are authorised to carry firearms,,,

I am not arguing about you sending a firearm to an RFD, what I am saying is that as an FAC holder you cannot use Parcel Force to do it and as an RFD you have to meet their conditions:

ARMS AND AMMUNITION

All types of ammunition are prohibited from being sent using any of our services. Section 1 and 2 arms and firearms may be permitted for Zone 1 to Zone 1 collections and deliveries for our account customers only, subject to prior written agreement being provided by Parcelforce Worldwide to the customer, such agreement to be given at Parcelforce Worldwide's absolute discretion.

Zone 1 to Zone 1 collections and deliveries of Section 1 and 2 arms and firearms will only be accepted where it can be shown to Parcelforce Worldwide's satisfaction that both the customer and the addressee are registered firearm dealers. All types of firearms are prohibited from import and export to and from the UK.

See here:

http://www.parcelforce.com/send-worldwide/delivery-times-worldwide-destinations/prohibitions

Royal Mail can carry firearms but you are going to have problems doing it. The firearm must be sent by a traceable service and as far as I remember next day service. The only Royal Mail service that does this is Special Delivery by the maximum length for this is 610mm unless it a tube. You will have problems getting a rifle into a 600mm long package and the tube diameter is limited:

You can use Special Delivery™ Next Day to send items weighing up to 10kg.
The maximum dimensions of a rectangular item are 610mm x 460mm x 460mm, and the maximum length of a rolled item is 900mm.
If you’re sending rolled items please also note that the length plus twice the diameter of your item must not exceed 1040mm.

If you send a firearm using Parcel Force without meeting their terms and conditions you will at the least not be insured and if it gets lost you are going to have to explain why you sent a firearm without permission of the courier.

The other problem you will have is that if Parcel Force do not get an answer at the deliver address they will give it to a near address and leave a card in your letter box. Try explaining that to the police!

2.1 Parcelforce Worldwide undertakes to deliver to the address specified on the Consignment or in the despatch documentation, not to a Recipient, except that for International Deliveries in some countries delivery will be made to a local post office or postal depot.
2.2 In respect of UK deliveries, if there is no-one present at the address then:
2.2.1 Parcelforce Worldwide may at its discretion attempt to deliver the Consignment to an alternative address being either:
(i) a neighbouring address; or
(ii) a local Post Office branch, where it can be collected during the next 16 days; and
2.2.2 if the Consignment is delivered to an alternative address, a Customer Contact Card will be left at the specified address which has been completed with sufficient details to enable the Recipient to recover the Consignment; and
2.2.3 the Customer agrees that such delivery shall constitute delivery to the address specified as the delivery address on the Consignment.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics