divine

Sightron scope.

Re: Sightron scope.

Postby 247sniper » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Bit of a update folks, went out last night to test the Sightron further and shot some clays at different distance etc to get the feel of her dialing in. Glass and the long range MOA dot ret is awesome! Ended up the night shooting 3 rabbits all at 273 yards in very difficult 15-20 mph winds ! 2 of which was head shots. 2x headless bunnies going on the pot!

Went out today with Paul (cottontail killer) and Dave (Leadpig) I only had the one shot, a young bunnie at 220 yards, the shot through the scope was spectacular = bits in all directions type stuff ! It was like a hand grande going off inside the rabbit, not much to pick of the bone to eat. Dave knocked a few over, 2 cracking shots :thup: , 85 yards, head shots with his HM2 and Paul dusted 3 or 4 nice ones with the .20 Tac.

At the end of the evening light failing I ranged a tree at just over a mile, turned the Sightron on 24 mag and fine tuned the focus, we all agreed awesome/fantastic optics , you could aim at crows in the tree and easily COULD have head shot the cows underneath the tree.

Again nothing but positive praise for the Sightron, and I'm sure DAave and Paul will be along shortly to agree.

Great day out too,

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 pm

i think you will find it was three ;) :lol:
it was a tad weird looking at something through a scope knowing it was a mile away,cant wait for mine now :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm

leadpig wrote:i think you will find it was three ;) :lol:
it was a tad weird looking at something through a scope knowing it was a mile away,cant wait for mine now :thup:

O yeh, ok sorry Dave I stand corrected ! 3 it was.

Yeh at over a mile with a very high level of precission !

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm

leadpig wrote:i should have mine the week after next :thup:

Any sign on ordering yours yet Dave? ;)
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Have to say, since I looked through a mates on his F-Class rig, I had to have one. I've got my SIII 8-32x56 on my BAT 500m Fly gun, and while my Nightforce NXS is better, it's not anywhere near twice as good as the price difference would suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Don't ANY of you under ANY circumstance, look through a 'March' Scope then!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby jeff » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Viperteks wrote:Don't ANY of you under ANY circumstance, look through a 'March' Scope then!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Seen a couple...nice scopes, but not worth the money IMHO. Would rather have a S&B PMII if I had money to burn on glass.....

Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 pm

jeff wrote:
Viperteks wrote:Don't ANY of you under ANY circumstance, look through a 'March' Scope then!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Seen a couple...nice scopes, but not worth the money IMHO. Would rather have a S&B PMII if I had money to burn on glass.....

I agree, but I cannot afford either, so the point is moot!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby leadpig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 pm

247sniper wrote:
leadpig wrote:i should have mine the week after next :thup:

Any sign on ordering yours yet Dave? ;)

noop still waiting :cry:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Trex » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Sightron SIIISS 10-50x60 LRIRMOA arrived yesterday next day delivery from Aimfield Sports, great service from their courier who texted and advised that delivery would be within a one hour window, great not to have to sit in all day waiting for something that may or may not arrive.

First impressions are good, no one local had a Sightron that I could use to assess the brand and John advised me that as long as I did not mount it in scope rings I could return it if I was in any way unsatisfied.

The glass, seems at least comparable, probably better than my Docter in brightness and contrast, it's a personal thing and subjective as these things are, for example I have never got on with NightForce always finding them darker than the German equivalents. I'll have to pull out a couple of scopes and try them all side by side.

My own preference is German or Japanese glass and with the magnification that I wanted a Schmidt and Bender was not an option on the basis of cost, similarly with the Nightforce which also carries more weight generally than it's competitors and Swarovski doesn't have the range of adjustment required, the Sightron looked like a fair compromise for my needs, especially at the price.

The Sightron seems to suit my eyes and I like the glass, setting the scope up on the dining table and looking through it at 50 magnification at the shipping in the estuary, details are visible on the vessels that I've previously missed using 24 and 32 power scopes, imaging is good. Scanning along the water I'm seeing light buoys and channel markers on the far side that I have never seen before, interesting.

Swinging the scope through 90degrees and looking down to the crossroads, I can read the stickers on the local shops door, surprising! Probably 500-600yds. Lifting it slightly so aligned above the roofs of the local houses, the ruined castle below the headland at the old Seafield coal pit can be clearly seen. Raising it slightly again a white van can be clearly seen sitting in a field on the headland, another small movement and the house windows of properties on the edge of Kinghorn can be made out with movement inside, probably somewhere between 4 and 5 miles distant. :)

Eye position seems quite critical, no surprise there at such high magnification, turning down the magnification allowed more room for maneuver with the sight picture coming more easily, the increased field of view would likely be necessary for sniper comps anyway. The image quality on full magnification is better than I anticipated, usually (on cheaper brands) there is enough degradation that the user would settle for using a lower power but not in this instance.

Swinging the scope back cross the estuary and looking at the far shore the individual cottages can be made out and looking to the fields to the rear of them straw bales can be seen, initially thought these were of the round variety but on second look they appear to be square bale stacks, individual bales cannot be made out.

So far so good, been using it now solid for half an hour or more and no signs of eyestrain or discomfort. I'm liking the MOA reticule and the illuminated dot which illuminates nicely at setting six and above, below six it doesn't seem to illuminate much, if at all, much like the IOR. Not really much of a fan of illuminated dots but it's no disadvantage.

Curious as to how far the cottages are on the far shore I pull out a chart and do a bit of measuring, distance comes out to between 13 and 13.5 miles!!! :shock: So maybe 14 miles to the straw bale piles, no surprise then that I cannot make out individual bales in the stack!

I'm liking this Sightron, enough anyway that I'll be sticking some rings on it and giving it a go on various ranges. I've no doubt it will be more than adequate for my 200, 300, 500, 1000, 1200 and 2400yd shoots, if it goes well I'll maybe pop for another in 32 power for the shorter stuff. :thup:
Trex
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 1066 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:29 am

Good review Trex - I must say I'm pleased with mine. :thup:
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby 247sniper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:35 am

1066 wrote:Good review Trex - I must say I'm pleased with mine. :thup:

+1 :thup:
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cheeto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 am

Still not used mine in anger!
Frustrated!!!!
Cheeto
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Tommo wrote:. And I got a 'free Sightron cap too. :grin: :thup: :grin:

Hey i bloody did'nt ! :?
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 pm

How much are the damn things!!!!! :grin:

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shooting Kit