divine

NiteSite NS50

NiteSite NS50

Postby mathspete » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Review of the NiteSite NS50
My friend recently saw one of these in use at a local fishing pond and was so impressed he went and bought one. I have now seen it in use and must say I am also impressed enough to get the NS200 version which as the name suggests has a much greater range and should be great for foxing without the need for lamps which attract the attention of tree huggers. The claimed range of 50 yards on the NS50 was the minimum we achieved and the 200 yards claimed for the other should be great, but will depend a bit more on the quality of the scope I think. The system consists of an IR sensitive camera and TV screen which has 4 large infra-red illuminators in the back plus a battery and all the fittings and cables etc. It comes in a sturdy foam lined plastic box with everything needed to set up and use straight away once the hefty battery is charged, (give it a good overnight slow, steady charge). The initial fitting and set up takes about 5-10 minutes, and the focusing can be a bit tricky but once done it was excellent. The sight picture was really clear, just like a black and white TV with crisp focus and clear images not a green hazy mush. Rats and rabbits were clearly identifiable out to 60 and 80 yards respectively, not just the eyes but the whole animal. Once you get used to aiming, using the TV type screen mounted on top of your scope, with your face off the riflebutt it really is very easy, and we tend to just park up and sit in relative comfort waiting for roland or bugs to put in an appearance. There are a few minor niggles which we have discovered, some are easy to solve, others not so, firstly there is a glow from the screen which does light up your face a bit, this has now been solved by the company and screen filters are available, I’ll let you know how effective they are once they arrive,(free of charge :thup: ) and we’ve had chance to go out with them. Secondly the dial on top goes from off, round in 4 clicks going up through the power settings, this means to turn it off from full on and then back on full again requires numerous clicking of the dial down then back again, we have solved this by fitting an in-line on/off switch from a Logun lamp, as the jack plug connections are standard. The last problem is common to any NV set up and is flare from bushes or reeds etc. in the foreground, these really do light up when the infra-red illuminators hit them and prevent you seeing much beyond them, so try and site yourself with a clear uninterrupted field of view. The major advantage for the entire system is that it fits on to any rifle :thup: using your own scope that is already fitted and zeroed, people who wear glasses, like me, are not constantly taking them off to use a Night Vision Sight and then putting them back on to walk or drive. This system has so far been fitted to 3 different rifles with no problems, the 4th rifle has an illuminated reticle with the dial on the eyebell and this prevents the supplied tube from fitting over the eyebell sufficiently to hold the small weight of the camera, we are experimenting with some spare plastic tube and cutting out a section to see if we can solve this. If the scope has an illuminated reticle with the dial elsewhere this is fine, the tube and camera fit as normal, but you do not need to light it up as it upsets the system and is not needed anyway, the reticle and mil-dots are all perfectly easy to see on the screen without. Overall a very good system which can turn any rifle into a night time set up, it removes the need for a dedicated NV rifle and sight, and for the lamp-shy rabbits or foxes, it will be brilliant as they will know nothing until the V-Max hits home :grin: .
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: NiteSite NS50

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Cool. I just bought a similar device, the Pular N500. It's viewer is a black and white video screen and It works fine although I want the get a better IR source to extend it's the range on a dark night.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby rodp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I can't find that listed anywhere :oops:
rodp
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby mathspete » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 pm

rodp wrote:I can't find that listed anywhere :oops:

try this http://www.nitesite.co.uk/
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby rodp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 am

I think I'm cracking up here. Didn't the post say Pulsar N500 originally ? :?

Edit, it's Flintloks post that refers to the Pulsar, that's the one I couldn't find, sorry. :oops:
rodp
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby MrBarnDoor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 am

My mate has just bought one of these and they are great! Better than the Pulsar because with the Nite Site, you can use it to convert any rifle as it just attaches to the normal daytime scope. He sits on an evening as it gets dark with his normal scope set up, then as light fades adds the kit and continues into the dark. he got his from http://www.dsctraining.org
MrBarnDoor

Postby tisme » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

flintlok wrote:Cool. I just bought a similar device, the Pular N500. It's viewer is a black and white video screen and It works fine although I want the get a better IR source to extend it's the range on a dark night.

One of these http://www.taclight.co.uk/dereelight/ni ... r-kit.html with IR led works very well with a N550
There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.
Stephen Hawking
tisme
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 pm

MrBarnDoor wrote:My mate has just bought one of these and they are great! Better than the Pulsar because with the Nite Site, you can use it to convert any rifle as it just attaches to the normal daytime scope. He sits on an evening as it gets dark with his normal scope set up, then as light fades adds the kit and continues into the dark. he got his from http://www.dsctraining.org

Please be aware that MrBarnDoor is Steve Lofthouse who designs the web site for and operates DSCTraining.

This is published on that site:

All of the items for sale here are being sold by individual sellers who we are pleased to offer this 'shop window' service to.

DSCTraining.org acts like sites such as Amazon where your purchase is made using our site but the sale is between you and the seller directly.

We only allow a few trusted suppliers to use this service, and we would welcome your feedback about the service they provide

Please look closely at the seller of each item to ensure that they are selling as individuals. If they are not then they are subject to the Sale of Goods Act and you have protection inlaw on you purchase which you do not have when buying privately.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby crazyfrog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 am

Keef wrote:
MrBarnDoor wrote:My mate has just bought one of these and they are great! Better than the Pulsar because with the Nite Site, you can use it to convert any rifle as it just attaches to the normal daytime scope. He sits on an evening as it gets dark with his normal scope set up, then as light fades adds the kit and continues into the dark. he got his from http://www.dsctraining.org

Please be aware that MrBarnDoor is Steve Lofthouse who designs the web site for and operates DSCTraining.

This is published on that site:

All of the items for sale here are being sold by individual sellers who we are pleased to offer this 'shop window' service to.

DSCTraining.org acts like sites such as Amazon where your purchase is made using our site but the sale is between you and the seller directly.

We only allow a few trusted suppliers to use this service, and we would welcome your feedback about the service they provide

Please look closely at the seller of each item to ensure that they are selling as individuals. If they are not then they are subject to the Sale of Goods Act and you have protection inlaw on you purchase which you do not have when buying privately.

A Blatant plug on his gear if you ask me, just be up front and say it's your stuff instead of "MY MATE BOUGHT THIS FROM HERE" I saw this member plugging some other stuff on another thread a few days back and he was challenged and asked if this was his website... He may have said yes now as I cannot find the thread, but he had ignored the question from the moderator who challenged him the last time I looked at it....
Shotguns
Centre Fire
Rimfire
Air Rifles & Pistol

BASC Member
DSC1
NRA RCO, Fullbore, Smallbore, Gallery Rifle
crazyfrog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am

MrBarnDoor has pushed his DSCTraining site on a number of threads and as far as the moderators are concerned he would normally be classified as a trader and be allowed to continue posting with all members knowing his status.

He last visited the forum last Monday before I wrote the advisory post, both on this thread and the others he has used to push his site. We had hoped that he might have responded to my comments.

The main intention is for the forum members to know when they are dealing with a trader and that they have protection under the law concerning any goods they purchase from traders.

What we do not like is when a trader appears to be hiding behind disclaimers about who is selling the item and their status.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby 1in9 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:47 am

I know Steve Lofthouse through rifle and game shooting in Nottingham and in fairness to him he's a really nice bloke, just a bit new to using forums! Will have a word about forum etiquette next time I see him.

I've bought various bits of shooting stuff off him face to face over the years and would do so again.

:)
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Triffid » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Back on track . . .
The Night-Eye is the same thing as the Nite Site but different, and significantly cheaper that the NS200 - £350 vs £599.
http://www.night-eye500.co.uk/
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Lewtaylor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

Hello,

I'm new to these forums but stumbled across this topic when looking for some advice.

I recently bought the NS50 from Nitesite. I've had it out on a night a few times now trying everything i can think of but can only seem to see around 10 meters clearly!

I have an Air Arms S410 with a Hawke Reflex 4-12 x 50 scope. If i aim the rifle up parallel to the field the screen just seems to go very dark and the crosshair disappears. Its almost impossible to make anything out. If aimed at a light it does appear on the screen but that is it, nothing else.

When the camera unit is taken off the scope it does display a clear image of the field though. Which is making me think it might not be compatible with my setup (scope or gun) however after contacting Nitesite they asked if my gun had a Moderator as this can cause flare so cover it with black meterial. My gun has a silencer which is already black and the videos i've watched seem to have similar setups but can see a LOT further than this.

Any help is appreciated!
Lewtaylor

Postby Triffid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Try taking the screen/illuminator off the rifle, but pointing in the same direction as the scope/camera. If it works better, then I'd agree 'flare' was to blame. If not, then the camera to scope alignment.
triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I've had similar recently after swapping my NS 200 to yet another different rifle, make sure, preferably in daylight, that the scope picture is central in the screen and that the cross hairs are in really sharp focus. If not sharp poke your finger down the camera and twist the focus ring on the camera lens and refit, repeat until they are. Once the camera is focused its a case of playing with the parallax and mag on the scope (if fitted) until the image on the screen is as sharp as you can get it. When flare is a problem we found that a black cloth over the mod was as much use as a chocolate fireguard, so we cover the lower part of the infra red beams with a cloth or card etc. as it is these ones that hit the mod and crank up the setting so that the top two beams pump out more :thup: site your beam/screen as far forward on the scope as you can to cut down the amount of illumination that is hitting the back of the mod.
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter