divine

First Fallow Deer

Pretty much anything shooting related

First Fallow Deer

Postby davo601 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 pm

I decided to take Robbie up on the offer he has posted on the forum for the opportunity to stalk and shoot a Fallow Deer, having never shot a deer before I was both excited and apprehensive in equal amounts, here follows a brief account of the trip.

After making contact with forum HQ to check everything was still on given the rather unpleasant howling gales and torrential rain forecast for the area, I received the indomitable response of "there's no such thing as good weather" so off I go heading North.
Arrived at 'Casa Duncan' unscathed and after some last minute preparation which included some reloading, .223, Gr varmint grenades to be punted down a 1-8 twist 20' barrel, an experiment to see if they will tear themselves apart or not, (tune in later for the results).....We set sail for the majestically beautiful ground that makes up Robbie's permission with the obligatory chocolate and juice stop on the way.
On arrival and after a brief scout around having spotted a small group of Fallow browsing in a distant tree line which was promising we were off to check zero, I was going to be using Robbie's rifle (.243) so we had to assure shot placement, after a small tweak it's all good so having done that it's grenade time, we moved into 50'ish yds in case we had a shotgun pattern instead of a bullet strike on the target first round off without the moderator for obvious reasons and..... did they? didn't they?..... one hole, 2nd round out, touching on paper, moderator back on, next 2 rounds away, 3 touching 1 just off, surprising result I honestly thought they would disintegrate.

We decided to have a mooch about to see what was around, nothing much as it happened you usually can't go anywhere on the ground without seeing deer but as is the case for the chosen quarry on any given day somebody's phoned them cause their all hiding!! so it's back to check the first group to see if they are still around, yes, so it's game on, after parking up we stalked and I use the term loosely up to the general vicinity, we got to within 130yds without seeing them, then one movement too many and crash bang and there off heading for the safety of the dense woods, next please!!
Back to the wagon and off we go for a drive around again for about an hour or so, after this we've got around 20-30 minutes of light left, it's now or next time, we stop on top of a small hill and scan the area, nowt, then I get a flash of movement 50-60 yds off to the right, I think it's a fox and say so to Robbie, "oot wi the gun quick" he says so dutifully I obey, as I'm clambering out I hear from behind the wheel "It's Fallow" there were 3 standing there having lifted from the deep bracken, " be quick take the shot" I hear as I'm settling on the bonnet using the bi-pod, I position the cross hairs knowing I have to be quick but accurate not wanting to wound the beast, the doe's looking right at me now and you instinctively know when you've got that split second or two to take a shot or not because there's going to be a rapid beating of hooves or furry feet in the opposite direction, bang, the doe runs from right to left for about 10-15 feet, nightmare!! I have a wee panic because I think I've fluffed it and wounded the animal, down it goes with a final twitch, stone dead, the gralloch confirms the shot, through the lung and aorta, doubt she knew what hit her, that was a relief knowing it was a clean kill.
It was at the gralloch stage that I'm transformed into a red Indian whilst being informed gleefully by Mr Duncan that "it's tradition".
Bruno (for those not acquainted he's Robbie's spring legged chocolate lab) got the heart for being a 'good dog' finding the deer in the scrub, we knew where it was but Bruno likes to think he's found everything so he got his reward and I got mine.
We hung the deer to cool ready for pick up later and headed off for a feed at the near by 'chippy', having refuelled were off on a tour of the ground for some vermin control, to finish the night off nicely Robbie bagged a good looking but rather pungent Vixen.

Anybody contemplating taking Robbie up on the offer, do it, for those that have had the pleasure of being on the ground you'll know already the views are worth the effort alone, and if you don't shoot a deer it won't cost you but you can still do some vermin control alongside some good company. Cheers Robbie. :thup:
Davo the deer hunter 2.jpg

Davo the deer hunter.jpg
davo601
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: First Fallow Deer

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Great write-up :)

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Warrick Hunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Well done,congratulations on your deer.
Last edited by Warrick Hunter on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrick Hunter
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby hungryrob » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Great reading Mark; took me back in a flash :) I've added some pics ;)

I really enjoyed your big moment :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Fenrir » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:08 am

A great read, one day I hope to do something similar.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby willie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 am

Fantastic write up, felt like I was with you every step.
willie
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby MarlinBob » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:25 am

Good stuff.
Either its a trick of the light or you have shot Rudolf :shock: mind you it also looks like that deer is wearing lipstick anything you want to own up to Davo :grin:
Hmmm.
MarlinBob
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby AKT » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:01 pm

great stuff :thup: good read,

would love to do that my self sometime :)
AKT
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby davo601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:44 pm

MarlinBob wrote:Good stuff.
Either its a trick of the light or you have shot Rudolf :shock: mind you it also looks like that deer is wearing lipstick anything you want to own up to Davo :grin:

OK you got me :oops: , thats not blood on my face it's lippy, the excitement of the moment was to much to contain. :grin:

Thanks for the addition of the photos Robbie and to all for the acknowledgements... :thup:
davo601
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 pm

So, have you got it butchered up yet?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby davo601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:50 pm

yep all done, I studied the DVDs I've got ref gralloch/butchering etc and just took my time, 4,1/2 hours to be precise from skinning to joints, it was actually fairly straightforward and there was very little left on the bones, must have ended up with 50+lbs of meat.
davo601
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:52 pm

Well done :thup:
I find it very difficult and usually make a bit of a mess :(

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby davo601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Not claiming it's up to butchers standards, but it'll do for me, and it still tastes great. :grin:
davo601
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mr smith » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:Well done :thup:
I find it very difficult and usually make a bit of a mess :(

Kev.

Yeah Mrs Beerhunter is often disappointed. :lol:

Just kidding lad. :grin: