divine

Lee Loader Classic

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Lee Loader Classic

Postby timbeech » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm thinking of getting a Lee Loader Classic as my first reloader, I won't be putting much through it so the slowness isn't a problem for me. Does anyone have any experience with them vs a proper press etc?

What I like is the simplicity and cost. What puts me off is using a hammer to make the cartridges (especially using a hammer to install the primers).
timbeech
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Lee Loader Classic

Postby plugg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:31 pm

timbeech wrote:I'm thinking of getting a Lee Loader Classic as my first reloader, I won't be putting much through it so the slowness isn't a problem for me. Does anyone have any experience with them vs a proper press etc?

What I like is the simplicity and cost. What puts me off is using a hammer to make the cartridges (especially using a hammer to install the primers).

They are totally safe but time consuming, Tim and they have been around for years. AFAIK there has never been an injury from using them properly.

What calibre is it for?

EDIT...Meant to say there are loads of vids on YouTube with guys using them and loading everything from .22 Hornet.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:38 pm

timbeech wrote:I'm thinking of getting a Lee Loader Classic as my first reloader, I won't be putting much through it so the slowness isn't a problem for me. Does anyone have any experience with them vs a proper press etc?

Yes, they're very good for cheap, accurate rounds.

I used one for .22-250. You might get 50 rounds in about 70 or 80 minutes - Maybe more once up to speed.

If you're really worried about the primers, just buy a primer tool from Lee to go with it.

Oh, and a set of scales are handy, too.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby timbeech » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah I've seen the vids on YouTube that's how I discovered the loaders.

It's for my .308WIN but if its any good I'll get one for my .223REM neck sizing doesn't bother me as they'll only be used in my rifle.

Not inc bullets and powders, as far as I can see, apart from the loading kit I'll need case prep tools - trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner. A nice nylon hammer, a set of vernier calipers and a way of verifying powder loads. I think I can get setup for under a £100

Yeah I know I could get a seperate primer tool which Inlike the idea of to reduce primer handling, but not sure if its worth it for how many I'll reload.
timbeech
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby bedwards1966 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I've got one and would highly recommend it for anyone not doing large quantities. I got mine because I wanted to save money - and I calculated that after shooting 50 rounds I had saved the cost of the classic loader and some scales (I already have verniers and a hammer), and the cost of test loads for development. Now I save £1.13 per shot!

Buy some scales (I went for the Lee ones, but several say that they are crap and for a little extra you can get far better ones). The powder scoop is no good in my opinion.
I don't generally see a need to go to the max loadings and prefer to have a little less in, giving long case life. I didn't bother buying a trimmer, chamfer tool (I just used a stanley knife blade to do this, worked fine and shouldn't need doing again) or primer pocket cleaner. They haven't been used much yet but I do expect my cases to last some time, and as cost was the reason for going into this I didn't see the point in buying extras.

I instantly got 0.75 MOA loads and stopped there, as that is all I wanted and will normally outdo me when on the foxes.
I wasn't keen on using a hammer on live rounds. I have a small piece of wood and rest that on my legs and work there (but that's due to not having a suitable table). They don't take much tapping, and I just instinctivly don't put my head over the thing as I tap the bullet home!
I've had a couple of primers go off while tapping them. This has only happened when reloading Winchester Silver cases which are really hard, horrible things and really took a few whacks sometimes to prime. They should be binned, normal brass is easy.
Even when the primers did go off it wasn't anything to worry about - it makes you jump, but is hardly ear popping or dangerous.
bedwards1966
Hunter
Hunter

Postby RoeStalker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 am

I use Lee Loader for my .308. I started with Lee Loader as I didnt know whether reloading is something for me or not. It was about $25 off evil bay. I bought a few bits a bobs for case preparation (all Lee) and to my surprise quickly managed to shoot a 0.5" group at 100m. Give it a go, if you dont like it, it is only a couple of bucks and you can resell it for nearly the same amount and some calibers are now really sought after.

[url]roestalker.co.uk[/url]
RoeStalker

Postby timbeech » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone for their advise. I've given Henry Krank a all and preordered a lee loader and the case prep bits. Had to order it as they more waiting for stock to come in mid August. I could go to Medway but its about £20 more expensive and I'm not in a rush.

I've also ordered a SmartLoader Extreme Powder package, basically scales, a powder trickler and funnel. So now waiting for it to turn up.

In the meantime I've got a lot of reading to do about reloading and ballistics
timbeech
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Haggis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 pm

RoeStalker wrote:I use Lee Loader for my .308. I started with Lee Loader as I didnt know whether reloading is something for me or not. It was about $25 off evil bay. I bought a few bits a bobs for case preparation (all Lee) and to my surprise quickly managed to shoot a 0.5" group at 100m. Give it a go, if you dont like it, it is only a couple of bucks and you can resell it for nearly the same amount and some calibers are now really sought after.

Welcome, great first post. :thup:
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading