divine

Question about semi auto air

Anything air rifle related

Question about semi auto air

Postby scoop » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 pm

I saw somewhere on you tube a welshman with a steyr 5 shot semi auto pcp
He said its legal but some said it isn't
If you can have a 22lr semi auto is it possible to have a semi auto fac air rifle
scoop
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Question about semi auto air

Postby hungryrob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 pm

I looked into this years ago and I think the answer is no....

Keef gave the definintive response I I recall correctly?
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby 1066 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Semi-auto air pistols are commonly used in rapid fire competitions although they are under 6 ftlbs.
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby leadpig » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:34 pm

hungryrob wrote:I looked into this years ago and I think the answer is no....

Keef gave the definintive response I I recall correctly?

they are not illegal, but there is a gentleman’s agreement between uk manufacturers not to make them :Facepalm: :thdn:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 pm

It's a very complicated subject at the moment because it's still being sorted out.

Some journalists say that they are illegal however years ago the Home Office issued a directive saying that the ban was not meant to apply to non FAC airguns.

Now it appears that someone in the Home Office has overturned that with another letter.

BASC and others are discussing it so it's still a grey area until the Home Office clarify their position.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Cam » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:22 am

There is no grey area about this matter. One cannot legally possess a semi auto air rifle that is capable of more than 12fpe, nor can one possess an air pistol that is capable of more than 6fpe (semi auto or not).

By the letter of the Law low power semi auto air weapons are not permitted. HOWEVER, it is acknowledged in Home Office Circular 68/97 that it was NOT Parliament's intention to capture low power air weapons in the 1997 amendment to the 1968 Firearms Act. This is further corroborated by the CPS guidance: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/index.html

I don't know how to post a *.pdf but if someone will guide me, I will post the HOC 68/97.

Further texts corroborating that low power SA air weapons are permitted include: -

12th Report of the Firearms Consultative Committee:
"9.19 The Home Office view that low-powered self-loading rifled air
guns are not subject to Section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act 1968 should
be confirmed at the first legislative opportunity. [Paragraph 11.26]"

HO Guide on Firearms Licensing Law March 2015, Paragraph 2.43.: -
"Air guns, air rifles and air pistols are exempt from the certification requirement if they are not of a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969, as amended by the 1993 Rules or the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) (Scotland) Rules 1969, as amended by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) (Scotland) Amendment Rules 1993."
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Shootist » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:20 am

Smooth bore air rifles are, I believe, OK in semi auto. A bloke at one of the clubs I attend has two. Good fun and not bad for accuracy, although they won't match an ordinary air rifle.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Airguns and FAC air