divine

Scope mount reducer rings

Don't buy cheap glass!

Scope mount reducer rings

Postby Born Again » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 pm

I see that Delrin reducers are available to fit a 1" scope into 30mm mounts, has anyone used these on a light full-bore rifle ?

I'm concerned they might move under recoil. My rifle has non-dovetail mounts, so I can't swap them cheaply. Rifle is light barrelled .308 Ruger M77S.

Thanks.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Scope mount reducer rings

Postby flintlok » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:49 pm

I use the AIM reducer rings made of aircraft grade aluminum ( http://aimsportsinc.com/rings/331-30mm- ... nsert.html ) on my 22 Thompson Center Benchmark rifle. They work great. I set my scope up with their reducing rings inserted into the AIM quick detachable scope ring and it works like a top. There's no movement at all with the scope and I able to routinely shoot the diamonds out of a 2 of diamonds playing card with good ammo. I'm not sure how well delrin reducing ring would work as the are plastic and might exhibit movement. If they are cheap enough it would be worth a try. Personally I went with AIM as I like their products.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:47 pm

I suppose I just have to try it and hope for the best. Perhaps I can incorporate some non-slip material, the Ruger is light and kicks a bit with full power loads.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Andy.I » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 pm

flintlok wrote:I use the AIM reducer rings made of aircraft grade aluminum ( http://aimsportsinc.com/rings/331-30mm- ... nsert.html ) on my 22 Thompson Center Benchmark rifle. They work great. I set my scope up with their reducing rings inserted into the AIM quick detachable scope ring and it works like a top. There's no movement at all with the scope and I able to routinely shoot the diamonds out of a 2 of diamonds playing card with good ammo. I'm not sure how well delrin reducing ring would work as the are plastic and might exhibit movement. If they are cheap enough it would be worth a try. Personally I went with AIM as I like their products.

Wouldn't one have more confidence if they were perhaps made from "telescopic sight-grade aluminium (alloy)"? ;)

WRT worries about creeping under recoil, thin double-sided tape will address any potential problem with materials such as delrin or nylon 6. :)
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:22 am

Nope, I've seen tape routinely creep and I have no confidence in plastic in rock solid scope mounting. Delrin and nylon are self lubricating plastics so I have no faith in that those materials to lock a scope body in place. ARMs mounts are the gold standard for rock solid stability. There are other mounting systems but you would have to look hard to find better mounts and rings.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:02 pm

I had a set of rings that come with reducers, one word described them perfectly CRAP

They even moved on a Ruger 10/22

As a very last resort, perhaps for testing a scope ok, but for a permanent setup no way, they tend to creep rotate. May be OK on a PCP air rifle with next to zero recoil

With good quality Warne rings costing less than £40-00 why bodge or adapt , it's a no brainer.

That's my point of view, some may use them or they would not be produced

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter