divine

Is getting a Shotgun Certificate in London difficult?

Anything shotgun related

Is getting a Shotgun Certificate in London difficult?

Postby Bart108 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:41 pm

Hello guys,

From what I've heard getting a shotgun certificate is your right and not a privilege. You don't need to have a special reason for getting one, no club membership or experience needed as well. Clean record, nice secure gun cabinet, willingness to try shooting sports and you are good to go! - That's at least what the internet and FAC holding friend have told me so far.

The only reason for your application to be turned down is when having a shotgun is a danger to public safety. Therefore my question is: Is having a shotgun in an ex council flat in central London danger in itself? or everything should go smoothly during the interview if all the safety measures are there?

Are there any shotgun certificate holders from central London here?

All the best
Bart
Bart108

Re: Is getting a Shotgun Certificate in London difficult?

Postby The_Dogge » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:04 pm

I'm not in London (and I am thankful for that :-) ), but my thoughts are that although you don't have to give a reason for a section 2 license, if you have no reasonable prospect of actually being able to shoot it legitimately then that would be a factor. Can you get to a shoot without using public transport? Taking a firearm on a train is forbidden by the conditions of carriage, not sure about buses.

Apart from transport difficulties I don't see any problem specific to London.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bart108 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Thank you for your reply!

I have my own means of transport so it should not be a problem. I also contacted a local practical shotgun shooting club - do you think I should wait with the application until I have been to some shoots with them and been granted at least a probationary membership or is it perfectly fine to explain the FEO that I'm just starting the shooting sport. There is no rush, but the sooner the better :)

All the best
Bart
Bart108

Postby Tommo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Personally I'd look to spending some time shooting clays before you go down the road of embracing practical shotgun. For practical purposes you'd need a Section 1 shotgun, just to up your ammo capacity when shooting practical so that means applying for an FAC in the outset. However, it would show good intent (my phrase) if you went down the clay shooting avenue first. It would teach you discipline, safety and etiquette, not to mention it's fun and quite addictive in its own right..

Unless you live in a high crime area I don't think that your property, whether it's ex-council owned or not, would hamper your application. Gun security is the watchword..

Hope it goes well for you, and welcome to the forum. :clap: :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:44 pm

everything that tommo says :thup:
you will not get an FAC for practical disciplines until you are a full member of the club but you will get a SGC if you have access to a clay shooting club :!:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter