divine

Interesting eyeballs.

Anything shotgun related

Interesting eyeballs.

Postby Shootist » Wed May 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I've been helping out at a class for shotgun instructors as a sort of practice student. One of the things the would be instructors do is test eye dominance. The first test is for me, when instructed, to point at the instructor's right eye with my right hand index finger (I'm left handed). I was quickly diagnosed as strongly right eye dominant. A little later we go on to a similar check but using an unloaded (!) shotgun instead of my index finger. Shock horror, I was immediately seen to be strongly left eye dominant. There followed much discussion on this apparently unusual situation before decamping to the shooting ground to be further instructed.

No wonder I'm such a lousy shot.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Interesting eyeballs.

Postby Keef » Wed May 11, 2016 9:18 pm

So what you are saying is that you are Bi Dominant?

There must be a group for you to join so you can further your agenda.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby flintlok » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 am

Keef wrote:So what you are saying is that you are Bi Dominant?

There must be a group for you to join so you can further your agenda.

Perhaps bidominants can be allowed to use either the lady's room or the men's room as the need arises. :razz: :razz: :razz:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Thu May 12, 2016 8:10 am

Is there a "safety word"?
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:58 am

Shootist wrote:I've been helping out at a class for shotgun instructors as a sort of practice student. One of the things the would be instructors do is test eye dominance. The first test is for me, when instructed, to point at the instructor's right eye with my right hand index finger (I'm left handed). I was quickly diagnosed as strongly right eye dominant. A little later we go on to a similar check but using an unloaded (!) shotgun instead of my index finger. Shock horror, I was immediately seen to be strongly left eye dominant. There followed much discussion on this apparently unusual situation before decamping to the shooting ground to be further instructed.

No wonder I'm such a lousy shot.

Thats as good an excuse as any :clap: :die: :clap:
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Rob Eaton (Coach) » Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am

:Facepalm: Be very careful of this as it usually merely points to having a low comb on the gun you were using but nobody picked up on it for some reason. Trainee instructors maybe ? They should of tested you at least 3 other ways to confirm it really if there is confusion.
Try doing the same test using a gun that has a high comb on it where you see too much rib and that will tell you more accurately but don't try shooting the gun.
Or shoot a simple going away target like low house skeet with the eye test gun used and your face right down on the stock/comb. If you shoot up the left hand side then the comb is too low.
Then lift your face a couple of mm and shoot again. If you hit it or shoot above or below it but right in line then you are right eye dominant. But always do the dominance tests with both eyes wide open or it's a waste of time. :Facepalm:
Hope this helps. :thumbs:
Rob Eaton (Coach)

Postby Keef » Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 am

That's a lot of trouble to go through for a gun that blasts out pellets by the hundred in a spray pattern!

Just fire it, the law of averages says that one pellet should hit what you're pointing the barrel at! If you need more pellets just get a Section 1 semi auto with a drum mag on it.
:grin: :razz: :razz:
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 am

So wants the problem, you are left handed so shoot of the left shoulder and are left eye dominant once you have a gun in hand ?

Neil.
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 am

Rob Eaton (Coach) wrote::Facepalm: Be very careful of this as it usually merely points to having a low comb on the gun you were using but nobody picked up on it for some reason. Trainee instructors maybe ? They should of tested you at least 3 other ways to confirm it really if there is confusion.

The comb adjustment was part of the training. I was the star 'pupil' and all the trainee instructors on the course were given me to check to see if they picked it up correctly.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 am

Hornet 6 wrote:So wants the problem, you are left handed so shoot of the left shoulder and are left eye dominant once you have a gun in hand ?

Neil.

It turns out to not be a problem, except for trainee instructors who couldn't figure out what's going on until the chief instructor explained it. Not that it makes much difference to my scattergun technique although the other training part seemed to help.

(No, Keith, my 'scatter gun technique' is not what I use for my bench rest comps.)
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Rob Eaton (Coach) » Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Ahhh!....hehe. :thumbs:
Rob Eaton (Coach)

Return to Shotguns