divine

Faux Swedish sniper rifle

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Faux Swedish sniper rifle

Postby Calfed » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 am

Several years back I got a great deal on a Swedish M96. It is not a total mixmaster...bolt and bolt components, receiver, and buttplate match. Floorplate, barrel bands and bolt release do not. Bore is great.

My cheap camera can't quite capture the bore's shine.

Image Image

I never really shot it much, but here is 5 rounds of the PPU 120gr "target ammo" @ 100 yards shot with iron sights right after I got it.

A few months ago I decided to convert one of my M96's into a Swedish sniper rifle for use in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches. This one got the nod. I bought an Accumount repro scope mount and sent it to a trusted gunsmith. He is fairly busy and it took some months for him to complete the job. In the mean time I got a smoking deal on a real Swedish M41B sniper rifle, but that is a different story.

After he completed the job, he sent me several pictures of the rifle and I must admit, it came out looking good.

I'll post more pics and a range report when I can.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Faux Swedish sniper rifle

Postby flintlok » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 am

When you by such a rifle it's like buying art. Some folks buy art because the enjoy the aesthetics while other folks seem to merely collect the signatures while not appreciating the work. A mix matched shooter that delivers great groups and still looks good is worth the trip. It's a very nice looking rifle. Nobody on the range will ever ask about the mismatch numbers. It's merely part of the history of the gun.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 pm

flintlok wrote:When you by such a rifle it's like buying art. Some folks buy art because the enjoy the aesthetics while other folks seem to merely collect the signatures while not appreciating the work. A mix matched shooter that delivers great groups and still looks good is worth the trip. It's a very nice looking rifle. Nobody on the range will ever ask about the mismatch numbers. It's merely part of the history of the gun.

Thanks, Flinty. I'm looking forward to shooting this with the scope and will post a range report.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 am

Here are a few more of pictures of the Swede...

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 am

I got a chance to shoot the CMP vintage sniper match "faux" Swedish sniper and it shoots like a house on fire!

I shot a three shot group at 25 yards to make sure it was on paper. I used Prvi Partizan 120 gr "match" ammo. (only had 6 rounds)

Since the rifle was on paper, I switched to a target at 100 yards. I fired the remainder of my 120 gr PPU match rounds and got the blue circled group.

I then adjusted the scope and here is where things went a little janky. My son fired three rounds of PPU 139 gr SP and got the red circle group (!). My son is a great shot, as you will see later, and I'm sure that the scatter group was a result of adjusting the scope. I then fired three rounds of the PPU 139 gr's and got the yellow circle group. It appears that it took a couple of rounds to settle the scope down after adjustment (?).

My son then used some 108 gr Lapua ammo that I have and got this group @ 100 yards...about 1/2 MOA

I then shot this 5 round group with some handloads that I had loaded for my Ljungman (again, at 100 yards).

Except for the burble after adjusting the scope, the Swede is shooting outstandingly.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Yeah, nice groups, but as Coldfinger would say, you kept missing the quarter. It's a sweetheart of a rifle. Nice find!!!1 :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks, flinty.

The gunsmith that mounted the scope and modified the stock did a bang up job.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder