divine

dangerous game hunters

Pretty much anything shooting related

dangerous game hunters

Postby leadpig » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:49 pm

i have been watching a lot of African big game vids on youtube recently and while i have no issues with it normally, the people who hunt "dangerous game" from 400 yards away with a scoped howitzer from the safety of a armored truck or on top of a hill etc irritate me.
imho if your going out to shoot them and then brag about it at least have the decency to face them with a proper double rifle with iron sights :shotgun: :shotgun: :worried: .
rich bloody dentists taking potshots at live animals from a squillion miles away, then having local trackers try to find them while they sit there high fiving each other bugs the shit out of me :doh: .
rant over
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: dangerous game hunters

Postby flintlok » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:03 am

John Taylor wrote a book called African Game Rifles. He hunted in Africa pre WWII. He was a hunter/poacher depending on what day of the week it was. He spent so much time in the bush folks thought that he had died. He lived the life of up close and personal hunting for dangerous game. Not many hunt like that. He had a pet leopard for a while. One night in camp he work to the leopard licking his hand in his tent. He got up and chased the leopard out of the tent only to notice that his real pet leopard was tied on a leash to a tree. It's a great book on a bygone day. There's no way we could hunt like that today. Lots of the stuff he did back the was illegal as it would be today. He killed something on the order of 1000 elephant for ivory.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:20 am

Good for conservation, my arse. The rich bastards should be culled themselves. :kill:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 am

Coldfinger wrote:Good for conservation, my arse. The rich bastards should be culled themselves. :kill:

The money that hunting draws into the local community plays a great part in the conservation of animals in Africa. Without it many of the animals, having no economic value would be hunted to extinction,
Lions for example would not be tolerated by local farmers as they pose a threat to their livestock. However if somebody is prepared to pay thousands of pounds to hunt them then their intrinsic value makes it worthwhile for the farmer to ensure their continued presence.
I have hunted dangerous game in South Africa - Cape Buffalo and am neither rich nor illegitimate. However I did do it with a double rifle at a range of 50 yards.
I am always amazed by the lack of solidarity in the shooting community to support diversity in the use of firearms in all branches of the sport
This apathy has led to and continues to lead to the "Antis" constantly chipping away at and reducing the rights of shooters.
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 am

as i said i have nothing against it, and while i personally would not want to shoot big cats elephant or rhino a buffalo would not be so lucky, and would love to go baboon/hippo hunting.but this is my personal preference and admittedly biased to certain animals.

the game farms have kept a lot of species from extinction they are not all shot as people think, i watched a few documentaries on it from the game farms point of view, they seemed to actually care about the animals and it was in there interest to keep the game stocks healthy. they were supplying game reserves with breading stock to try and help keep the wild numbers up. this is funded by people paying to hunt the others.
nothing was wasted the meat was given to the local people, hides were processed etc and they bought the still born calves from cattle farms to feed the big cats, a waste product that would normally get dumped .
anyone caught in a game reserve with a gun or caught poaching should be shot on site, no questions asked just shot, this would deliver a message quick enough. :shotgun: :kill:

my problem was not the animals getting hunted and humanely dispatched, it was people taking stupid shots at and wounding live animals, then paying others to track the animals down while they congratulated each other :mad:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 pm

There is a difference between necessary culling and trophy hunting with rare breeds, it is the latter that I object to.

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Coldfinger wrote:There is a difference between necessary culling and trophy hunting with rare breeds, it is the latter that I object to.

even though the trophy hunting is saving a lot of species from facing extinction??

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 pm

Coldfinger wrote:There is a difference between necessary culling and trophy hunting with rare breeds, it is the latter that I object to.

The huge amount of money paid by trophy hunters is what gives the animals their intrinsic economic value. Without this value they would simply be slaughtered for whatever may be recouped, whether it be skins, parts for medicine or simply meat.
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Let’s agree to disagree

Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:21 pm

I posted my views on dangerous game shooting a couple of years ago. Some did not like my views.
I understand that shooting is a massive revenue raiser for game reserves however, very little of the money made supports the poor communities in Africa. This activity is there just as a playground for the filthy rich. The claim that the weak animals are shot does not wash either.

In my opinion those that feel the need to take long range shots are cowards, I watched a video on youtube where a cape buffalo was shot 6 times before it was dead. Then the sad individual posed for a photograph to show how brave he was.

I am in full support of pest control and vermin shooting and wildlife management.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter