divine

Air Arms S410 Classic Vs. S510?

Anything air rifle related

Air Arms S410 Classic Vs. S510?

Postby Martin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am

Yet more investigating...this time for my dad as he's seen the light of PCP for serious hunting work. Also I must admit to being tempted by one of the above myself.

I've always liked the looks of the S410 in walnut, even when buying my HW100 it came close...but now I'm looking into them as a serious contender to replace my HW100 as I don't seem to be getting on with it that well as I find the balance to far forward (some you win some you lose - I like a well balanced rifle and got on very well with my heavier HW90k) and also my dad is looking into a PCP to replace his HW80.

What I'd like to know, from those who have used either / both: is there much difference between the S410 and S510? I know the 510 has the side lever cocking as the FAC 410 and HW100 have, but is that really all the difference is? They are both stunning looking rifles (IMO) and priced similarly if buying new. Whats the weight and balance like to use in the field with a scope?

Thaughts and advice would be most welcome :grin:
HW100S .22 - Hawke Endurance 3-9x40 Mil-Dot
BASC Airgun member
Martin
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Air Arms S410 Classic Vs. S510?

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm

You seem to know how you want a rifle to balance - your best bet would be to go visit a shot and feel for yourself.
I'd consider the carbine models if you don't like weight forward.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Sam Vimes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm

I wouldn't have a 410 Classic or S510 for field work. Little to do with balance, they are simply too long for my liking when hunting, especially when fitted with a silencer. Your question regarding balance with a scope fitted is impossible to answer without knowing the scope concerned. My own S410 has quite a different balance with the current 3-9x40 scope fitted than it did with a 6-24x42 that it used to wear.
I'd also rather feel a rifle have a fairly neutral balance but over the years I've found that I actually shoot better (particularly standing or kneeling) with a decent amount of weight forward. That's why my S410 carbine, used exclusively for hunting, has a Harris bipod almost permanently attached.
The differences between S510 and S410 are little more than cosmetic. The sidelever mechanism still actuates parts that are common to both rifles. The actual actions being the same. The other difference being that the 510 has a barrel shroud. Now this will act as a moderator to some extent but, for hunting at least, there's a good chance that you'll want an additional silencer.
I wouldn't pay the difference to get a 510 over a 410 in sub 12 ft.lb guise. I may well choose the sidelever if I were running an FAC variant on the S4*0 or 510 theme. However, chances are that I'd not choose any S4/510 as an FAC rifle anyway! ;) :grin:
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Martin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:05 pm

ta for the advice there, I just wanted to get a feel of peoples thaughts towards them before tramping 25 miles to the only local-ish gunshop who have one in stock.
The S410 carbine has crossed my mind due to length, I just find that my 100, whilst more accurate than I am when sitting, is a little more difficult to bring on target and keep on target than better balanced rifles such as my old HW90k for standing shots. I had considered the v-mach cylinder to help with balance, but the cost is prohibitive considering what I've already spent out on kit as it is.
Scope would be a 3-9x40.

by the way, wouldn't by any chance be a Terry Pratchett fan with that name? :grin:
HW100S .22 - Hawke Endurance 3-9x40 Mil-Dot
BASC Airgun member
Martin
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Dc5 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi mate, I just purchased an AA s410k .177 a couple of weeks ago and It Is an amazing piece of kit ;)

I was considering the s510 as well but the guy In the shop said that It was no better than the 410 and the side lever was a bit crunchy compared to the hw100.

My last airgun was the hw90 .22 and the air arms Is In another league tbh :roll:

Atb jase.
Dc5
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Lumbago » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Has it got Anti-tamper fitted?
Lumbago

Postby Sam Vimes » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Martin wrote:by the way, wouldn't by any chance be a Terry Pratchett fan with that name? :grin:

Never heard of him! ;) :razz: :lol:
Fabricatum diem, pvnc!
Sam Vimes
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Dc5 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 am

Lumbago wrote:Has it got Anti-tamper fitted?

I couldn`t tell you mate :? how would I find out :roll:
Dc5
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby john.r » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 am

iv not shot with the 510 yet but one off the guys i shoot with has the s410k wot a great peice off kit the only thing iv found with them is that the mag is verry pellet fussy but arent most
john
a/a s410c custom
ags swat 4-16x56
hw mod
john.r
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Dc5 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi john, I`ve not had any problems with my mag as yet ;)
I use AA field diablos and they are a perfect match for the gun :thup:

jase.
Dc5
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Lumbago » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Dc5 wrote:
Lumbago wrote:Has it got Anti-tamper fitted?

I couldn`t tell you mate :? how would I find out :roll:

You'll find out when it's shooting seriously over/under power and you have to send it back to Air Arms instead of being able to adjust it yourself. I don't know what the AA anti-tamper bolts look like but Andi J. should be able to tell you if you PM him.

Forumsers: We have to remember to tell people about AT from now.
Lumbago

Postby leadpig » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm

ive got the s410k in .22,brilliant little hunting rifle,not that pellet fussy either :?
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby stueyd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I've got a 510 with a 3-9x50 and silencer on it and it has added to the weight quite a bit but I find it perfectly balance and use it out in the fields with no issues.

I shoot at a club also and was there tonight and my mate had a go on mine while I used his 410 which I have shot before. he has a silencer and a 3-9x40 attached and I do believe it is lighter than mine (but when discussing this he turned around and said the same about my 510). Would bet that the 510 is heavier as it has the shrouded barrell

I went for the 510 on personal preference as I didn't originally get on with the bolt action and have found the side leaver extremely user friendly

In essence they are both lovely rifles but I went for the 510 due to not getting on with the bolt action when I first used it a few months ago, though there is an element of user error/awareness that can be read into that

Would I swap my 510 for a slightly lighter 410..... never I love it.

Stu
Quiet as a mouse fart, silenced AA S510.
stueyd
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to Airguns and FAC air