divine

0.22 semi-auto recommendations - Anschutz 525?

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

0.22 semi-auto recommendations - Anschutz 525?

Postby point22enthusiast » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:11 am

Hi guys, I am a newbie to this forum and would appreciate your advice please.

I plan to apply for an FAC to shoot rabbits on a friend's land. He's got loads of bunnies making holes in the ground which is a problem for his horses (he tells me a broken leg means a horse has to be put down). I'm thinking of going the semi-auto 0.22" with moderator route to take out as many bunnies as possible. I have lots of firearms experience as I grew up in South Africa.

My initial thoughts were to get an Anschutz 525 with scope and moderator (but I've not had experience with this particular rifle). My reasons are:
+ Semi-auto so can fire in quick succession
+ One can buy the rifle brand new already threaded for moderator
+ I like the long barrel (personal preference)
+ From what I understand one can fit a scope and remove (unscrew) the front sight
+ Not too pricey (for an Anschutz)
+ Presumably very accurate (because Anschutz)
+ I'm planning to join a club (any recommendations for Herts?) and would probably want to get an Anschutz target rifle too - i.e. stick with same brand (ok this is a weak reason)

Concerns/questions:
- I read that this rifle only accepts standard velocity ammo - is this correct? Has anyone used high-velocity, expanding or sub-sonic ammo with this rifle?
- Have read that this rifle can be "fussy" in terms of the semi-auto action. Would have thought an Anschutz would be reliable...
- Is the semi-auto mechanism loud (assuming rifle silenced) - i.e. will it scare the bunnies away?
- Have read online that the trigger-pull is a bit rubbish...may have been someone's misguided point of view...

Would be most grateful as I say for any advice - would you recommend this semi-auto or an alternative? I am not concerned about cost and the aesthetics of the rifle. Accuracy, reliability (chambering next round) and quietness are important to me.

I look forward to your comments! Thanks in advance...
point22enthusiast

Re: 0.22 semi-auto recommendations - Anschutz 525?

Postby Boggit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 am

point22enthusiast wrote:. Accuracy, reliability (chambering next round) and quietness are important to me....

If those are the four things you are after in a rimfire, you should consider a bolt action rifle. I have a CZ 452 .22LR, and I would answer your questions thus...

1) Accuracy - I can hit .22lr shells at 60yds off a bipod, 25mm targets at 100yds.

2) Reliability - It has never let me down

3) Feeding rounds - Never had a single jam

4) Quietness - Very quiet, with my SAK moderator sounds about the same as an air rifle. And no clattering of a semi-auto action to boot!

I'd take the Pepsi challenge against a semi-auto any day!

Don

Air Arms S300 camo .22 (11.2fpe)
Air Arms S310 thumbhole .22 (11.2fpe)
CZ452 'Varmint' .22LR customised (116fpe)
CZ452 'American' .17HMR (245fpe)
Anschutz 525 .22LR Semi Automatic
Boggit
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Judge Ali » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am

I have the 520 which is the closest thing to it.

Not too fussy in terms of ammo and I only use subs in it, the Winchester X seem to be the best but CCI's cycle ok as well. I did have to send it back when I first got it to have the cycle action looked at because it used to jam occassionally.

Not loud at all, the semi auto action is very smooth, quick and silent. Certainly no louder than racking the bolt on a CZ so I wouldn't worry about it and its a split second - I have never had that spooking bunnies.

Am not sure why they aren't more popular than they are, as you correctly state the 10 shot without reloading aspect is a huge help and should you misss :shock: at any time you can simply reaim and fire again.

Mine is the short barrel version with a SAK mod and I prefer this for getting in and out of the landrover with but am sure the longer barrel is equally silent with the correct moderator on it.

Trigger pull was not an issue on mine but its like any new rifle - you get used to it or change it!

Accurate enough up to 50yds, I only use it for lamping so would rarely go over this anyway to be honest.

I would reccommend it on the basis of how my 520 has worked out for me, as I said though I am aware they arent that popular and most people seem to prefer bolt action .22's

Cheers
Alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 am

I've never shot the Anschutz, but my impression of semi-autos in general is they are more fussy on ammo than bolt guns (and the only thing here is just to try everything you can for both accuracy and cycling) and are generally less accurate (In part becuase of how you tend to shoot them thinking you have an instant second shot).

My Walther G22 only shot Winchester and RWS subs, hated anything CCI and even jammed constantly with Eley's. By contrast, all my previous .22's seemed to love Eley subs above all else. My Anschutz MSR now shoots std velocity CCI better than Lapua Club, and my pistol shoots Eley Match worse than some of the cheaper brands - you really can't second guess the things! :roll:

If I was only going to have one rimfire though, it would be a bolt-action. However, I used to have two - one bolt and one semi, and in the end went with a HMR for the bolt-action as it made the combination more versatile than two .22's.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Lumbago » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 am

I recently helped a newbie choose his first and only rifle and the consensus here was a good bolt action for accuracy. It's also cheaper in the long run as you'll make the shots count.
Lumbago

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:41 am

Personally I'd say anything in .17HMR beats any .22 hands down for rabbiting, the trajectory, terminal effect, accuracy potential and ricochet safety are in a different league to .22. However mine has spent this summer in the shop and I've been shooting plenty with .22.

I started with a CZ452 bolt gun, but got poor results which I couldnt explain as it shoots great on the range.
Then I switched to my semi auto, a custom Volquartssen 10/22, and that worked much better. With any semi auto, finding the right ammo is key, you dont have the same choice as with a bolt gun as you have an additional constraint: it has to cycle reliably.
The action cycling is the loudest part, but it doesnt seem to bother the rabbits, and you get to keep still and silent after the shot, not be moving and making noise with the bolt. A couple of times this summer I've had 3 rabbits with 3 shots within a few seconds. The follow up shot is useful if they're not totally down immediately, you get to concentrate on making another shot not working the bolt and losing time as they crawl off.
Of course it's not quite as accurate as a target rifle with match ammo, but it's easily good enough to hit a rabbit's vitals at 70m, which I consider max range given the trajectory.

Anyway, what I'm rambling on trying to say is: 1) get a .17, it'll change your life, 2) If you dont, then a semi auto .22 is a good rabbiting tool, I have both and I'm using the semi.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 pm

point22enthusiast wrote:
Concerns/questions:
- I read that this rifle only accepts standard velocity ammo - is this correct? Has anyone used high-velocity, expanding or sub-sonic ammo with this rifle?
- Have read that this rifle can be "fussy" in terms of the semi-auto action. Would have thought an Anschutz would be reliable...
- Is the semi-auto mechanism loud (assuming rifle silenced) - i.e. will it scare the bunnies away?
- Have read online that the trigger-pull is a bit rubbish...may have been someone's misguided point of view...

I have a 525 mate and will answer your queries presently...
- The 525 will fire any designation of .22LR RF round...be it HV, sub-sonic, HP expanding, jacketed or combinations of the afore mentioned.
- The only time I can say its 'fussy' is on extraction and ejection. For some reason my 525 dosnt like CCI ammunition...now, its not as if the action dosnt work, it does but the action seems to extract and eject everything more efficiently than CCI ammo.
- The semi-auto mech can seem loud to the firer...afterall the mech is only (roughly) 6 inch from your ear. This was also a concern of mine, so I asked one of my regular shooting partners to fire off a few rounds whil I stood beside him and then (safely) down range at typical bunny dropping distances and it was very quiet...even shots fired in quick succession.
- I am used to 'heavy' pull triggers and i think mine is fine...others like Robbie (Hungryrob) think its p*sh, personal preference I think.

HTH, any questions stick up a post or send a PM

Phil
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 pm

jeff wrote:My Walther G22 only shot Winchester and RWS subs, hated anything CCI and even jammed constantly with Eley's. By contrast, all my previous .22's seemed to love Eley subs above all else. .

what did you think of it,toying with the idea of one of these or the gsg5 sd,but accuracy/poi shift seems to be a issue :?
as long as its accurate to 50m i will be happy :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 pm

[quote="point22enthusiast"]Hi guys, I am a newbie to this forum and would appreciate your advice please.

Would be most grateful as I say for any advice - quote]

if you are close to me you can have a pop with mine and see what you think...a 'try before you buy' (not mine ;) ) if you like :thup:

Phil
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 am

leadpig wrote:
jeff wrote:My Walther G22 only shot Winchester and RWS subs, hated anything CCI and even jammed constantly with Eley's. By contrast, all my previous .22's seemed to love Eley subs above all else. .

what did you think of it,toying with the idea of one of these or the gsg5 sd,but accuracy/poi shift seems to be a issue :?
as long as its accurate to 50m i will be happy :grin:

I loved it, but it had the worst trigger of any gun I've ever owned! It was accurate enough at 50m, but the God awful trigger (Which I never really got 100% used to) stopped any decent groups being shot. It was only really my lamping gun, and I used the HMR for everything else.

If I were to ever come back to the UK, I'd get a custom 10/22 as my semi-auto next time.
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 am

Where in the UK are you, mate?

Edit: I see you're in Herts!
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby point22enthusiast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 pm

All,

Many thanks for the time you took to give your views. Most insightful and very helpful – cheers!

humperdingle and plugg (Phil) - I live in St. Albans, Hertfordshire.

Any suggestions about what small-bore rifle clubs to join in Herts / Beds that are open to new members?

My current thinking is that I would like to join a club on probation so that by the time I apply for my FAC I will hopefully be a full member of a club. This I hope would also support an FAC application (i.e. am considered competent, know how to use a firearm safely etc).

I'd like to have a 0.22 for the club's range (bolt action, target model) and also a 0.22 semi-auto bunny terminator with silencer.

Still very interested in the Anschutz 525 and Phil would love to have a pop with the 525 if possible. Where are you based?

Is anyone aware of trigger mods for the 525 - just wondering as I saw jeff's post about it having a bad trigger pull...

In terms of the FAC application, can one justify having two rifles for hunting small game? I'd be interested in possibly getting a .17HMR too...the idea might be to have the 0.22 semi for night (e.g. for lamping) and the 0.17HMR for taking longer shots during the day.

Have also heard that one should put down everything you might want to get in the 5 years of the FAC else one has the hassle of getting the FAC amended. Sounds like a good idea but surely one's reasons start becoming weaker if its something you *might* want? What do you think? (I'd be looking at the target 0.22, the semi and a .17HMR.)

Kind regards,

Richard
point22enthusiast

Postby leadpig » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:00 pm

you need it ;) ,not may want it :shock:
put down.
22lr for target
22lr for vermin
17 hmr for target and vermin
moderators for all to help prevent noise pollution :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby point22enthusiast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, leadpig.
point22enthusiast

Postby Mr. Gain » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:46 pm

I had a 525 but didn't keep it long as I didn't like either its length or its trigger or feel that it had any of the finesse of the bolt action Annie I had unwisely traded in to acquire it.

I do have a place for a semi-auto as a night gun, and would recommend either a 10/22 with a hi-capacity magazine and an improved trigger, or, if you're not put off by their military appearance, one of the current crop of good-quality .22 ARs, a design which adds excellent compatibility with NV sights and illumination to compactness and capacity.
Mr. Gain
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder