divine

Difference between bruised and cracked ribs

Anything goes - within reason.

Difference between bruised and cracked ribs

Postby Lee G » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Bit of a strange one from me. And a bit of advice needed

Bit of larking about in a bar (not my second home any more) the other night and some how a mate did a bear hug and a lift on me. This was Friday night.

At the time I felt excruciating pain, almost had my stomach leave my body type pain. But the beer, covered the pain

He grabbed me round the bottom of my rib cage.

Since then I have been in constant pain with my ribs. Any movement means pain. Smokers cough dont help. Getting up, sitting down and even getting dressed, aggravates my ribs.

If it was bruising, I would have thought that it would only hurt, if you touched it, rather than if you move.

Is it worth going to the doctors with this one?

I would have thought the doctors would only give pain killers.
zombie hater
If I got a penny for every target sbs missed, I would be a millionaire :die:
#LeaveEU #VoteLeave
Lee G
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Difference between bruised and cracked ribs

Postby Linegeist » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:22 pm

If you HAVE got a broken rib (which I'd sincerely doubt - they bend quite a lot and you'd have felt one snap ... plus I suspect you'd be whingeing even more then normal............. ;) ) all they'd do is strap you up to minimise the discomfort until it knits. There isn't any quick-fix for ribs 'cos they ain't easy to get at. You can't exactly whack one in a sling, can you? :hmm: It hurts when you move because they flex and bend along with your corpulent and flabby frame. Seemples! :grin:

By all means take Ibuprofen - same name over there and available from any Farmacia - try 600mg a day - to reduce inflammation, and after about 3 days you'll be fine.

EDIT: PS. Why have you recently started.

On the Clubshot-style, punctuation.

Thing?

It's very. strange. ;) :razz:
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby Lee G » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:35 pm

No idea

On that one

Bob

And thanks for the

Advice mate :grin:

Ibuprofen, I try to avoid. But this time, Im already on it :oops:
zombie hater
#LeaveEU #VoteLeave
Lee G
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Linegeist » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm

600mg is the top dose per day - don't go mad on the stuff.

Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fenrir » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I have badly bruised my ribs on a number of occasions playing rugby and i can sympathise with your pain, it hurts like hell every time you move, breathe or do anything at all. I have also broken a rib and the level of pain is so much more. There is little a doctor can do other than prescribe painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs and tell you to rest.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

The lower three ribs on either side are 'floating' ribs, they are only attached at the backbone, not at the sternum. Thus they are less likely to break.

However because they can move more, you are more liable to tear the intercostal muscle and ligaments, Bear-hugs and low punches or kicks are an excellent way to do do this, the pain can be excruciating!

As Bob said Ibuprofen are a good start , reading the back of my 'profen packet, you can have up to 3x400mg (1200mg) daily, don't go mad, they can cause ulcers and bleeding! Take with milk rather than water and not on a empty stomach!

If you need something heavier, the chemist's out your way may be able to prescribe 'Diclofenac' (Brand Voltarol) up to 150mg a day, you can have those as well as the Ibuprofen as there is no contraindication.

The more you move the longer they will take to heal!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Keef » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Linegeist wrote:600mg is the top dose per day - don't go mad on the stuff.

I am prescribed 1600mg a day of the Brufen Retard slow release which the pharmacist tells me is the max daily dose!

Plus 30/500 Co-codamol as needed.

Be wary of Ibruprofen and Voltarol together, they can cause stomache bleeds. I have to take a separate Omiprazol pill to cope with the Brufen dose. There is a form of Voltarol called Arthrotec that has an inhibitor in it to prevent damage. I would seek a doctors advice before self prescribing too high a level of anti inflamatories and pain relief.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Linegeist » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 pm

That's interesting! :shock: :shock: My doc's been telling me that 600's the max dose now, for the last 2 years!!! :kill: :kill: He won't raise the dosage despite that fact that I spend a lot of time in considerable pain with my back. I now use a TENS device. :thup: Maybe Lee should plug himself into the mains supply for a few hours ................. :grin:

Voltarol I can't take ............. they play havoc with my stomach, and I wind up dumping acid out of my exhaust within 24hrs. THAT gives you a nappy rash you DON'T want! :worried: :worried: :worried:

Mind you - Old Peculier helps as it dilutes the stomach acid. The doc won't give me that on prescription, either. :( :( ;)

Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Lee G » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Cheers for all the info guys. Getting up in the morning is a bit painful to say the least.

Right side is hurt, right side is the side I normally sleep on and right side exit from bed

Looks like doing less each day, if possible on my part :grin:

No more tips out in the car to a bar until they discover the art of putting tarmac in the holes on the roads here, rather than holding the holes together with tarmac :grin:
zombie hater
#LeaveEU #VoteLeave
Lee G
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Viperteks » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Keef wrote:
Linegeist wrote:600mg is the top dose per day - don't go mad on the stuff.

I am prescribed 1600mg a day of the Brufen Retard slow release which the pharmacist tells me is the max daily dose!

Plus 30/500 Co-codamol as needed.

Be wary of Ibruprofen and Voltarol together, they can cause stomache bleeds. I have to take a separate Omiprazol pill to cope with the Brufen dose. There is a form of Voltarol called Arthrotec that has an inhibitor in it to prevent damage. I would seek a doctors advice before self prescribing too high a level of anti inflamatories and pain relief.

Your right.

They both can cause bleeding on their own, so if you are taking both together you are doubling your chance if a intestinal 'episode' :shock: But the two drugs together are still 'safe' in that they will NOT work 'against' eachother!

That another reason you should never take them on a empty stomach and I would recommend milk rather than water as a 'delivery' system!

And definitely get good medical advice, before devouring the 'pill' cabinet'.

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby flintlok » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I would take a quick run to the doctor’s. I had pleurisy a while back which in my case it was an infection in the lower lining of the lungs. Very painful and I couldn’t find a comfortable position. When I was young and stupid I took full contact karate and routinely had bruised ribs and I also broke a few. Bruise ribs were manageable. There is no doubt when I rib is broken I as could feel the bones rub against one another and was very painful but still manageable and I could find a comfortable position. With pleurisy there in no comfortable position in the pain is continuous and only allows for shallow breathing. As a smoker you may be more susceptible to lung infections. I would get it checked out and stay out of bear hug bars, it’s gay. 8-) 8-) 8-) :grin: :grin:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm

From my many years of rugby, I can say you would definitely know if it was broken. Many is the Sunday morning when I couldn't reach my feet to put my socks on. All the doc will do is give painkillers, I used to mix ibuprofen for the swelling/inflamation and cocodamol for the pain, anything stronger required prescription. A hot water bottle or wheat bag helps you to sleep, and the rest just takes time. Get well soon.
Last edited by mathspete on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Nige » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Although I sympathise with your injuries Lee, I still can't quite get round the fact that somebody could actually pick a big lummox like you off the ground in the first place :?

;) :razz:
Eggspert in women
Nige
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Lee G » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Trust me, the guy is a big lump. Runs a local stables. Im sure the horses ride on his back and not theirs
zombie hater
#LeaveEU #VoteLeave
Lee G
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 pm

:shock: Being hugged by a bloke in the first place sounds a little :hmm: :hmm: ;) :oops: , I know in this day and age it is regarded as being 8-) . I think you would be better off keeping to that barmaid Lee and reduce your passions to cuddles rather than a butch grizzly hugger ;) ;) :grin: :grin: :lol: :lol:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to General chat