divine

Anschutz Rifles.

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Anschutz Rifles.

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 am

Three people that I know have recently bought anschutz rifles in .22lr calibres. All three are screw cut and have moderators fitted.
Despite trying many different brands of ammunition, all three have had unreliable results with poor and inconsistent groups. These are not cheap rifles, one had a match barrel and cost over £1000!
Anyone else know of problems with anschutz lately?
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Anschutz Rifles.

Postby Dave 101 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:30 am

Hi ,

Firstly I would inspect the crown to see it has been recut correctly , the smith who undertook the work to thread the barrel I am sure would have done so if he knew what he was doing . also to be considered were the barrels cut in the right position ie length . It is said Anschutz barrels and I have heard this of CZ as well have a tight spot at the muzzle and if this is cut off the benefit is lost , although another sweet spot may possibly be found in the barrel .
Also inspect the crown to make sure it is clean and even , smooth , test by wiping a peice of cotton wool around the crown and see if any fibres get snagged , you can polish the crown with a round head brass screw placed in a drill chuck and rotate with some polish around the crown , you can find and see this type of info onthe web .
I would not test the accuracy of the rifle with the mod fitted to establish where the problem is , rifle or the mod , it could be the screw cutting is not perfectly aligned , which will cause the the bore of the mod to be out therefore causing damage to the mod as the bullet passes through , and it is clipping the mod at some point .
Hope this helps .

Dave
Dave 101
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I posted some pics of re-crowning with the ball-bearing and diamond paste method here;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthr ... ht=diamond

It works very well.

I have done some more since then, without the lathe, just using the ball and paste and a random motion on the ball. This method is obviously slower but the results are just as good.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Keef » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:24 pm

When the steel of the barrel is forged it has internal stresses and when the external diameter is reduced the bore expands (depending on how the barrel was manufactured)

I have threaded barrels in the past, Anschutz included, where the bore has expanded where the exterior of the barrel has been reduced in size for the threading.

I had a factory threaded Anschutz that had been back bored so that the threaded area was well over size so that any expanded area was not rifles or affecting the bullet.

A check for expansion is to push a .22 pellet down the bore. If it goes loose at the threaded area, have it back bored.

If it stops slightly as it reaches the crown, there's likely to be a burr on the crown so polish it.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks for the help.
I know that at least one fires good groups without the moderator and that several moderators have been tried on that rifle. This led me to believe that the thread was not cut correctly causing the mod to be mis-aligned and the bullet could be clipping the mod. However all three were purchased brand new and supposedly factory screw cut!
Just wondered if there was something going on at Anschutz!
When I get home I'll have them check the crowns!
Thanks for the tip regarding the pellet :thup: I'll dfinitely pass that on when I get home :thup:
Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fenrir » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:35 pm

A couple of years ago a chap I know near Stamford bought a new Anschutz and found it to be very insufficiently accurate for his needs. He returned it to them via the dealer and the replacement was similarly poor which he also returned. He got a CZ in its stead and was more than happy.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Funny you should say that but one of the guys had a CZ that would put rounds through the same hole at 50metres. He had an anschuz in .17 and was very happy with it and wanted a short barrelled .22 so sold the CZ and bought the Anschuz. Having spent a lot of money he now curses the day he got rid of the CZ. I have one myself and swear by them - excellent rifles!! :thup:
Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby English » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Most of my rifles have been used but when I got a .17HMR it took about 100 rounds of shooting and cleaning to get the barrel to settle down?

You friend might need to just give it more time?

Similarly I know a couple who both shoot and they decided to get their aging Anschutz rifles re-barreled with Border barrels, afgain they took some time to bed in, foul up and come on stream?
If it has a trigger I'm gonna enjoy it!

Look - an eagle!

http://www.ukgunworks.co.uk/
English
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 pm

All three guys reported putting several hundred rounds of every conceivable type of ammo through their rifles with no improvement.
One thing that they all found was that one day they would use, for example eley sub sonic and achive good results, think that they had sorted the problem, only for it to recur next time the rifle was used!
Cheers,
Dave.
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder