divine

How far will shot travel?

Pretty much anything shooting related

How far will shot travel?

Postby Judge Ali » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Have got a field full of pigeons ready to hit but it's right next to the A31 down the entire 400 yard side of it.

Not very much cover between the road and field, certainly not enough to put up a hide and I am not comfortable shooting with my back directly to the road with a shotgun anyway.

So it leaves me the other side directly opposite to get the best position, either end will be ok you will still have road directly to your left or right which will restrict your shooting zone anyway. It's going to need some severe discipline and accepting several missed birds within range if you take this option.

Its 145 yards opposite so my concern is obviously I am going to pepper down shot on the cars.

But this get my thinking whilst I am on Google Earth looking for the best position - what is the minimum safe distance? I know it would depend on the elevation of the barrel, wind, etc. but just how far does a Clear Pigeon 32gm No. 6 travel?

I really need to get this sorted, there are regularly 300+ birds on this field and the farmer is very eager for us to progress. Any ideas?

Cheers
Alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: How far will shot travel?

Postby plugg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Alex,

I have heard that shot can travel 300 yards quite easily. There isnt much energy left for the shot to do much damage but I wouldnt be happy with shot raining down on my car.

Its a tricky situation and one that I also face.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Shot carry can vary a lot depending on the size of shot and wind speed. Small bits of shot can be carried much further if the wind is behind it.

I've heard figures of 250-300 yards banded about for no.6/7 shot - Sounds about right.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:45 pm

HOW FAR WILL SHOTGUN PELLETS TRAVEL?
Getting sprayed with no. 8 pellets from 100 yards away in a dove field is an inconvenience while a hail of No. 4s from that distance can be more than uncomfortable. Just what is the maximum range of shotgun pellets fired from a conventional shotgun?

"Pellets from 12-gauge target loads fired at flying target will likely fall to the ground inside of 200 yards," says shooting expert Frank Ventimiglia, vice-president of Shooter's Choice gun care products. "Larger shot used for hunting will probably carry about 100 yards farther.

"Don't confuse maximum range with effective range, however. The maximum effective range of hunting-sized lead shot - that is the range at which it patterns sufficiently and still carries lethal energy -- is about 65 yards while the maximum effective range of steel shot is about 50 yards."
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Fenrir » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Not sure why you don't like having your back to the road, that would increase your options enormously. I know there are issues if you are shooting within 50ft of the centre of the highway and you might be well advised to erect a screen behind you but it is not necessarily illegal.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy632 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 pm

From the BASC:

Shoot managers and Guns must ensure that shooting does not obstruct, cause danger or alarm to users of the public highway, including roads, bridleways, footpaths and other rights of way.
In particular, care should be taken when siting Guns near public highways. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway having vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.
The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use common law offences of 'culpable and reckless conduct' and 'reckless endangerment' in situations in which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wales.
To shoot across a footpath or bridleway may constitute a public nuisance or wilful obstruction. There may also be a liability in negligence if it is known that people are on, or likely to be on, the path.
Oh Lord, how can I soar with the Eagles when I'm working with such Turkeys!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle Club.
Andy632
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby keith_henson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

this was when i was lecturing at cranfield uni in bedfordshire and I remember seeing this on the poster wall of one of the engineering departments:

How far does gunshot travel?.....BASC Release

05 December 2008……………………………immediate release

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) has joined forces with Cranfield University at Shrivenham to offer its members the most comprehensive and accurate information on distances travelled by all main shot types used in game, wildfowl, pigeon and clay shooting.

BASC is frequently asked for advice on the distance pellets travel after being fired from shotgun cartridges. This is to guide the setting of safety zones around game or clay target shooting or to ensure pellets do not land on neighbouring property. Conventionally 300 yards has been considered the maximum distance for lead shot. The new research takes into account muzzle velocity, pellet material, pellet size, and wind.

BASC’s director of research, Dr John Harradine, said: “Shooters have long relied on the traditional 300 yard travel distance for lead shot but its travel is affected by several factors, including pellet size and particularly a following wind. With new non-lead shot types now being used, based on both less dense (steel) and more dense (tungsten) materials, we need to be able to advise shooters and shoot managers on what these shot types can do to ensure safety and responsibility in the field.”

Members needing advice on shot travel can contact the research department on 01244 573016 or email research@basc.org.uk.

I am not sure what became of it as it was 14 months ago - might be woth emailing BASC and see what they have so far

HTH

Keith
Load on Sunday, shoot all week long, happy days :) (if SWMBO lets you out to play)
keith_henson
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby tignme » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm

300 yds is the safety zone when shooting clays so decoying should be the same.However I reguarlly set up next to road and in forty years of decoying Ive only been queried 3 times but why not ere on the cautionary side and set your hide (4 sided out in the field, i /we do it lots and if you are suitably covered the birds still decoy. I tried to add photo of one of my hides in middle of barley stubble but too big HOW do I reduce it.
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby termin8r » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:06 pm

The old formula was to take the shot diameter in thousandths of an inch and multiply by 2.2 to get the maximum range in yards... so no. 7 shot at 0.100" diameter would fly 220yds max. Mind you, that was for lead shot - don't know how you go for steel or tungsten or bismuth :?

Cheers,
Doug 8-)
termin8r

Postby libensvolenspotens » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm

I don't understand your concern regarding shooting with your back to the road. It would seem to be the perfect solution to your problem.

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge
any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a
carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or
endangered. [Section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980]. It is important to remember that the
discharge of a firearm is not prohibited in itself
. It must also be proved that there was an injury,
or that someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to
make a detour.

Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby keith_henson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 am

a few days ago and after a talk i had; some info came my way for a decent sized shot for pigeons and the distance it travelled: Size 6 with choke making very miniscule difference in distance variation; firing directly away the shot with no backwind would go about between 200-245 yards depending on cartridge type and manufacturer. With a force 4-6 behind it was between 300-360 approx yards.

Wind makes a difference it seems.
Load on Sunday, shoot all week long, happy days :) (if SWMBO lets you out to play)
keith_henson
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Judge Ali » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 pm

300 yards is a long way and whilst I know it wont do much damage at that point it is still going to annoy anyone whose car it rains upon. Also I am wondering if a car is travelling at speed how much more the damage potential is...???

I know I can stand with my back to the road but am just not comfortable with it, every time I have been there previously I am constantly mindful of it and it takes the edge of the days enjoyment. Am trying to be considerate to the road users and also think suddenly letting both barrels go a few feet away from them could potentially distract a driver enough to cause an accident or at least a complaint and I dont want or need the aggro!

I think I have to accept on this occasion that I need to set up with a limited shooting range and make the best of it.

Cheers
Alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics